Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djvic87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
Hey guys, I got a long story to tell. Please read. Very, very sad.

In 2006, I purchased the 30gb Ipod. After I had it for a while, the battery started to drain and started to discharge very quick. So I called Apple and requested service for a battery exchange. But the guy said he can only exchange my Ipod and for a refurbish one. I was like what?.. Well I had no choice but to send back my Ipod and get the refurbished one. Just to add, I was still under the extended warranty. When I got the refurbished model, after a couple of days of using it, I started getting dead pixel lines on the screen. And after a month, the hard drive started to click and shut off. I called Apple back and told me that I am out of the Apple extended warranty. And of course, they did not buy my true story. So I stayed stuck with an Ipod in which I spent more than 500 dollars at the time. Its been almost a year in which I got these problems. I called earlier today and tried to see if I had some luck of trading this Ipod for the new Ipod shuffle, and they said that I can only recycle the Ipod and get a 10% discount on another Ipod. But that didn't satisfied me. I asked if I can exchange it for the same model or anything similar, no luck. I just want to get rid of this Ipod. But the defects were Apple's fault because I didn't drop the Ipod, spilled water on it, nada. The Ipod still look brand new. Sad story, isn't it. What can you guys tell me? Can I do something else than recycle the Ipod for just a 10% discount on another Ipod?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
At the time it happened, you probably could have been successful in pushing up Apple's chain (or even going straight to the top and e-mailing Jobs) -- assuming that your timing is accurate, getting the device replaced for the bad battery and then having the replacement die in a month is completely unreasonable, and it's pretty likely you could have gotten Apple to help you.

Now that it's been a year...and you're talking about a device that's been long since discontinued, and which you can buy on the used market for $40USD or so fairly readily (or whatever equivalent where you live), I dunno. I would personally say you should just chalk it up to experience and move on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.