Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McKnight

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Hi everyone,

I recent purchased an iBook G4. It's due to arrive on Tuesday. I'm planning on using it for doing my assignments in University and generally browsing the web.

I've purchased the 1Ghz model with 512MB RAM which I plan on upgrading to 1.25GB RAM.

Do you think that the machine will be able to handle iTunes, RemoteDesktop (Win RDC) and IM Clients such as Pidgin? (Not necessarily all at the same time)?

Many thanks for your time!

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Yes, it will handle those just fine.

If you NEED Office, of the MS variety, go for Office:Mac 2004, it will run better on that machine than 2008. I'd go with a free alternative if you don't absolutely need the MS version though.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
It'll be great for those purposes, especially with the ram. My dad bought his first mac like yours to do similar stuff, and I was amazed by how well it handled the internet. Love the 12" form factor so much that I bought a 12" 1.5 ghz powerbook to do stuff around the house, and it's rapidly becoming my favorite.

Good choice. Get your hands on an apple hardware test or disk warrior to make sure the drive is up to snuff..it is a four or five year old laptop drive, after all.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
It'll be great for those purposes, especially with the ram. My dad bought his first mac like yours to do similar stuff, and I was amazed by how well it handled the internet. Love the 12" form factor so much that I bought a 12" 1.5 ghz powerbook to do stuff around the house, and it's rapidly becoming my favorite.

Good choice. Get your hands on an apple hardware test or disk warrior to make sure the drive is up to snuff..it is a four or five year old laptop drive, after all.
My factory 12" G4 iBook 30GB drive died right in that time frame... =\

yizzle0912

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2009
New York
It should run great. I'm typing this on a 1.5 Ghz PB with 768 RAM; I used to use a 500mhz cube for a lot of my stuff until two years ago. As long as you don't max out the hard drive or do video editing, you should be fine.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
My factory 12" G4 iBook 30GB drive died right in that time frame... =\

One of the things I did this week was have my hard drive replaced with a WD 250 gig. I wondered if I should have done it until I realized that the new drive is a lot quieter...seems the old one was making some clicking noises.

Three year warranty. I plan on keeping this little sucker around for a while.:D

I'd at least suggest buying an IDE notebook drive now, and cloning your existing drive to it. That way if your old drive dies, you'll have a break glass in case of emergency option. I'm not sure how long they'll keep making IDE hard drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.