Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fazzl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
I listen to a lot of house music and many albums are mixes with more than one artist (ex: hed kandi). I set album artist to hed kandi but still when i use my iPhone or Frontrow i can only access artist and not album artist so each song is different and it doesnt group together etc.

What can i do about this for iTunes? thanks

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Don't quite no what your asking. But if you select all the songs and go to options you can then set it as a compilation of artists.

In this way it means that the coverflow only takes up one piece of album artwork and is not duplicated for each artist!

Fazzl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
What i mean is...in iTunes each song on the cd has a different artist but i set the Album artist to one(dj) and sort by album artist so it works just as if the cd is by one artist.

but in front row and on the iPhone you cannot choose sort by artist so to choose the album you have to go to one of the many artists and itl only show the particualr song by that artist rather than the whole album.

how can i fix this buy grouping the album by the dj or album artst rather than each individual artist?

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
I know what you mean, atleast i think. :eek:

It has been a pain in iTunes whenever you encounter problems like this. Unless they have changes something, I always grab all of the songs/tracks in the cd, cmd i or ctrl click and click get info and then change all of the album artist's names to the main person. For ex., I recently imported my 2pac cd and it was filled with various featuring artists. I did what I previously mentioned and it was fine.

The only other way to get around it that I know of is play around around with the way it displays it such as track,album etc. and that might help you. If you don't want to change all of your artists to just one, you can copy the artist into the artist area. I think they might be doing this now bc of the confusion with itunes track sorting method.

Hope this helps some and isn't too confusing. I haven't been up too long. :D

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Don't quite no what your asking. But if you select all the songs and go to options you can then set it as a compilation of artists.

In this way it means that the coverflow only takes up one piece of album artwork and is not duplicated for each artist!

As others have said checking the "compilation" option will keep the album together. I've also gone to the trouble of creating playlists. I have a playlist for each artiest, or well at least about 100 of them.

You should at least be happy if you don't have a large classical music collection. iPods are not good at that at all.

DarthTreydor

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
When listening to music on the iPhone, you can tap albums instead of artists or songs. That way it's organized by album and all the tracks are there. That's what I do when I listen to my "various artists" CDs.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I used to have the "sort artist" set to Various, check off Compilation, and then leave the artist as the actual artist and the song as the actual song.. the problem is that on my ipod, it would list each artist individually which was annoying. Now, sadly, I have the artist as Various, the album as the album title and the song as 'Artist - Song name'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.