Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
Hey :)

So here's my story:

I bought a 1G 8GB last year.. didn't know much about generations and upgrades and stuff. the next week the 2G came out. Boy was I mad. Anyway, someone stole it and it's about time I get a new one.

I'm really really missing my iPod touch bad.. should I try and keep waiting for 3G or settle for a 2G? How long do you think we are away from 3G (I understand we don't really know.. but is it worth waiting?)

Will the 3G be as much of an improvement as 2G was over 1G.
I craved an external speaker for things like the cool Translate app for iPhone, and the Bluetooth thing is just awesome. (Yes, I'm aware of the wait for the 3.0 release :)).

So what do you think, MR?
Give in and get a 2G
or Kill myself waiting for a 3G?

Thanks guys :)

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
It'll probably be September before you'll find a 3rd Gen Touch to buy, so I recommend getting a 2nd Gen right now. You know how useful they are already. You'll gain a speaker and external volume control, as well as all the hardware (bluetooth chip) the 3.0 firmware update expects to find. I dont' think you should kill yourself, as I believe there are no iPods in heaven. ;)

habsfan321

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
It's a toss up really... iPods are usually refreshed in September, but the iPhone usually refreshes in June. While it's still an iPod, it has a lot more in common with the iPhone than the shuffle, nano, ... And given that iPhone OS 3.0 is coming out in June, I would guess a new iPod Touch is coming out around then.

And, check out the MacRumors buyers guide...

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#iPod_touch

Product: iPod touch
Recommendation: Don't Buy - Updates soon
Last Release September 09, 2008
Days Since Update 202 (Avg = 185)

Deon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
]
And, check out the MacRumors buyers guide...

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#iPod_touch

Product: iPod touch
Recommendation: Don't Buy - Updates soon
Last Release September 09, 2008
Days Since Update 202 (Avg = 185)

Yeah that's what's keeping me from just buying it.
It's over 20 days overdue for the update, and September is still a long way away.
Then again, June is still several months away...

I think 2G it is :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.