Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 30, 2009, 08:57 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'MLB.com At Bat' Returns for 2009

MLB.com At Bat 2009 [App Store, $9.99] has appeared in the App Store, reviving one of last year's popular sports apps and adding in-game audio for all Major League Baseball games during the 2009 season.

Quote:
Featuring exclusive pitch type, location and speed data from MLB.com Gameday, plus real-time box scores, play-by-play and video highlights, it's the fastest, most detailed way to follow games on your iPhone or iPod touch.

And new for 2009, At Bat includes MLB.com Gameday Audio. You can listen to every regular season and Postseason game LIVE, with your choice of the home or visiting team's announcers.
The 2008 version of the application debuted midway through the season at a price point of $4.99 and was featured in an iPhone commercial.

Last year's version continues to exist as MLB.com At Bat Lite [App Store], a free application that has been providing full coverage of the now-completed World Baseball Classic, as well as Major League Baseball spring training, which is wrapping up in just a few days. For the 2009 regular season and playoffs, MLB.com At Bat Lite will provide real-time scores and schedules, but will not offer the advanced features found in the paid version.

Article Link: 'MLB.com At Bat' Returns for 2009
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 09:38 AM   #2
themanfromvlad
macrumors 6502

Before you buy, this App still has the same huge bug present in last year's edition: you can't see or select Montreal Expos games. Pretty ridiculous.
themanfromvlad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 09:41 AM   #3
Bodhi395
macrumors 6502a

Anyone know if you have to be mlb.com subscriber to be able to access the gameday audio?

Also, I'm hoping they eventually add real time video to this app.
Bodhi395 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 09:50 AM   #4
Theraker007
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by themanfromvlad View Post
Before you buy, this App still has the same huge bug present in last year's edition: you can't see or select Montreal Expos games. Pretty ridiculous.

this isnt funny btw
Theraker007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 09:51 AM   #5
abnospam
macrumors regular

big question: can the gameday audio access be used on my computer as well? Or do I have to pay another $10 for that?
abnospam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 09:58 AM   #6
sharp65
macrumors 6502

Gameday audio doesn't cost extra, no you can't access it on your computer. You would need an MLB Gamday Audio subscription.
sharp65 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:18 AM   #7
ejrizo
macrumors 6502

I was really looking forward for this app... thought it would be 4.99 tho... i guess the extra 5 bucks are ok with the game day audio...

sounds like a cool app other wise tho... im still going to end up purchasing it.

does anyone know how "real time" it is? like can i be at the game listening to this and follow with whats going on at the game? or is there a considerable lag? just wondering if anyone knows?

sometimes i just dont like the fox sports announcers when i can get Vince Scully on for my Dodgers. would like to follow that way sometimes.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:51 AM   #8
purd002
macrumors member

It was $4.99 last year because the app was introduced half-way thru the season. They aren't charging twice as much this year, they are just offering the whole season. To stream on your computer is $14.95, personally i find this app tons more useful - you can always output the audio via the headphone jack!
purd002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:01 AM   #9
Jeremy1026
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Sure it does, check under 'Nationals'
Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:02 AM   #10
Buschmaster
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Buschmaster
I'm very happy it's only $9.99 considering last years I gladly paid $4.99 for half a season without Gameday audio and everything.

I'll pick this up so I can watch the Twins all the way to winning their first world series since 1991.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:13 AM   #11
b1wils1
macrumors member

hahha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026 View Post
i'm glad you said something, because I was about to.
b1wils1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:34 AM   #12
eff pc
macrumors regular

this is the most ridiculous app ever. 10 bucks for one season!!! it should be maybe 10 bucks and get it for every season. (maybe have it be 4.99 and use the new subscription service to sell each season for 99 cents) and even then it seems a little over priced.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:35 AM   #13
Randman
macrumors 65816

Any idea how sound quality will be on 3G and Edge? I'd get it for listening at work but lots of computers at the office and reception is spotty.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:01 PM   #14
azentropy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Any idea how sound quality will be on 3G and Edge? I'd get it for listening at work but lots of computers at the office and reception is spotty.
Unfortunately the Gameday Audio for the App doesn't start until April 6th.
I was hoping they were going to "test" it out since they do Gameday audio for some Spring Training games on the website.
azentropy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:12 PM   #15
sheaitisnotso
macrumors regular

Yeah I'd like to know if the audio works okay on edge. I've already bought the mlb.tv package and would only buy this for the audio to use on car trips, etc.
sheaitisnotso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:16 PM   #16
sharp65
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff pc View Post
this is the most ridiculous app ever. 10 bucks for one season!!! it should be maybe 10 bucks and get it for every season. (maybe have it be 4.99 and use the new subscription service to sell each season for 99 cents) and even then it seems a little over priced.
How is it overpriced? MLB gameday audio costs $15/year by itself.
sharp65 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:28 PM   #17
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Quote:
Originally Posted by eff pc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp65 View Post
How is it overpriced? MLB gameday audio costs $15/year by itself.
I think it's priced fine. A season of TV on the iTunes Store costs upwards of $40-50, so $10 for an entire season of baseball doesn't seem like that much.
longofest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:33 PM   #18
Claytoniss
macrumors regular

Sweet!

Can't wait for the Season!
Claytoniss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:49 PM   #19
macfan881
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to macfan881
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejrizo View Post
I was really looking forward for this app... thought it would be 4.99 tho... i guess the extra 5 bucks are ok with the game day audio...

sounds like a cool app other wise tho... im still going to end up purchasing it.

does anyone know how "real time" it is? like can i be at the game listening to this and follow with whats going on at the game? or is there a considerable lag? just wondering if anyone knows?

sometimes i just dont like the fox sports announcers when i can get Vince Scully on for my Dodgers. would like to follow that way sometimes.
you will get the radio broadcast of each team playing and its pretty close to real time i think when i had it last year it was like a minumum 5 second lag i had some games muted on tv and listen to the audio.
macfan881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:50 PM   #20
bketchum
macrumors regular

Quote:
One of the great tragedies in sport.
bketchum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:55 PM   #21
jcb10
macrumors regular

Where ARE the Expos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theraker007 View Post
this isnt funny btw
As a lifelong Montréal Expos fan, I find it hilarious.

Back on topic, with Gameday Audio for $10? That's great, considering it's either $15 of $20 through the web. Off to the App Store ...
jcb10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:56 PM   #22
macfan881
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to macfan881
Quote:
Originally Posted by bketchum View Post
One of the great tragedies in sport.
the expos or the expos moving to dc "zing" they were both tragedies in my opinion
macfan881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:48 PM   #23
themanfromvlad
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026 View Post
Every time I try that the App gives me a pop-up message asking for $611 million in taxpayer money and then crashes. Weird.
themanfromvlad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 02:01 PM   #24
Lara F
macrumors 6502a

As a native Montrealer I'll never get over 1994 myself. What could have been...
Lara F is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 02:07 PM   #25
SirOmega
macrumors 6502a

I would assume you have to have the app open for gameday audio to work? thats kinda sad - if I want to check my mail I have to close the app, lose the feed, check my mail and then come back and start the feed again.

This is one of the areas where Apple needed to add some sort of background functionality. It doesn't have to be the full app, just have the OS setup some sort of audio stream handler in the background so I can tool around the phone and do other stuff while listening to the game.
SirOmega is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion