Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Apr 15, 2004, 03:56 PM   #1
mooshoo
macrumors regular

newbie hardware ?s

Hi, I'm a newbie, so bear with me.
I just got a 15" PBG4/Combo three days ago. I have several questions that you might be able help with.

1) I'm new to the Mac world, but it seems like hardware is a bit more difficult to find. Are Apple hardware proprietary? Meaning, does it have to be OE?
2) I want to upgrade my memory soon. From the factory it comes with 256 I think (I didn't get the Superdrive). It feels like when I'm running Office apps and other stuff at the same it slows down quite a bit (especially during loading). Where can I go to get more memory? I want something that'll integrate seamlessly with my mac. Can you recommend?
3) I want to set up my wireless network soon. I need Aiport Extreme hub, the Extreme card (my model didn't have one installed), and what else? Can it be from another manufacturer? Any recommendations?
Thanks a million!
mooshoo is offline   0
Old Apr 15, 2004, 04:18 PM   #2
JOD8FY
macrumors 6502a

Hi there,

As for your first questions, Apple hardware is a little bit more difficult to find, but not impossible. Just about all hardware that is available to Windows is available to Mac. Your second question is about memory. I would recommend that you buy your memory from Crucial (www.crucial.com). They have excellent prices, products and support. While I can't vouge for them personally, I have heard a lot of great things about them, so I would recommend buying there. Your last quesion is about Aiport. All you need is the card and the base station and you're set. I'm pretty sure that you can buy a wireless base station from another company and it will still work. I don't really know though, I haven't tried it, but maybe someone else will know. Hope this helps.

Congratulations on your purchase,
JOD8FY
JOD8FY is offline   0
Old Apr 15, 2004, 04:29 PM   #3
jxyama
macrumors 68040

what kind of apple hardware are you talking about?
go to apple.com, apple retail store or compusa. those are major outlets.

ram: i got mine from crucial. fast, reasonably priced and reliable. you can go for budget RAMs and if they are not faulty, it will work just fine. crucial, from what i hear, offers better quality RAMs that are less likely to be faulty.

airport: you will need to buy the airport extreme card from apple. it will work with any third party wireless router, not just apple's.
jxyama is offline   0
Old Apr 15, 2004, 04:53 PM   #4
mooshoo
macrumors regular

Great thanks guys!
mooshoo is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers