Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Billy5860

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
i cant decide between either the canon s500 or the nikon 5400. which is a better made camera canon or nikon. which has better lenses. how much of a difference is there beween 4 megapixels and 5

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
Billy5860 said:
i cant decide between either the canon s500 or the nikon 5400. which is a better made camera canon or nikon. which has better lenses. how much of a difference is there beween 4 megapixels and 5

Any difference between 4 and 5 megapixels will be more than made up for by a quality lense. Nikon has a great reputation when it comes to lenses -- and comparing these two cameras, the Nikon as a 4X optical zoom, whereas the Canon has a 3x (if that's at all important). The Canon is more compact, which might be important to you.

I doubt you'll be unhappy with the Nikon -- but I'm sure others will weigh in on the side of the Canon.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
A matter of personal choice

Billy5860 said:

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. In other words, there is very little overall difference between them.

Which is right for you?

Go to a store and handle both of them, what feels comfortable in my hand might make you feel as if you have two left hands. Also check out their menus and options. Both Canon and Nikon occasionally make software that is counter-intuitive and a real pain to use. My Nikon N60 was exactly like that, that's why I dumped it after short time.

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
I only buy Canon digicams.

They are made exceptionally well, and I have purchased 8 Canon digicams in my day and none had a single problem and all operated absolutely beautifully. Also, they look so sexy, especially the elphs! :) Not to mention that the menu's are very easy to use and intuitive.

Now, not that I have anything against Nikon, i love their film cameras, but their digital cameras (unless you're talking high-end SLR's which cost thousands) have always left something to be desired. I've owned 2 and both had to be sent to Nikon for repairs. (though it should be noted once returned they worked perfectly) Their menu's aren't as easy to use as Canon's, and their cameras are plastic as opposed to Canon's sleek metal cases.

I would advise you to go with Canon, you will never regret a Canon digicam purchase, the optical zoom is a minimal difference, you probably will never notice. Also, though the optics in both Nikon and Canon cameras are pretty much equal, go to a few digicam review sites and you'll find that Canon's deliver truer to life colour and sharpness. :)

But in the end it's up to you, great sites to check out (or at least my fav's)

http://www.dcresource.com/ (my fav, he uses Macs :p )
http://www.dpreview.com/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Billy5860 said:

Dont forget to check http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/cameras.html
I note the Canon is not officially listed as supported, but all Canons get supported and I imagine its pretty close to the s400...but you might want to explore this a little more.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
absolut_mac said:
Six of one, half a dozen of the other. In other words, there is very little overall difference between them.

Which is right for you?

Go to a store and handle both of them, what feels comfortable in my hand might make you feel as if you have two left hands. Also check out their menus and options. Both Canon and Nikon occasionally make software that is counter-intuitive and a real pain to use. My Nikon N60 was exactly like that, that's why I dumped it after short time.
I agree 100% here. It's my personal belief that whether you go Canon or Nikon, you won't be disappointed (assume you pick the right model), and that all bickering about which is better is completely pointless.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
my dad had a coolpix 990 back in the day (like three years ago) and gave it to my mom, when he purchases a 5700.. it is an amazing camera, the form factor isn't that large, and it fits nicely in your hand, the picture quality is amazing too. go nikon

aethier

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
aethier said:
my dad had a coolpix 990 back in the day (like three years ago) and gave it to my mom, when he purchases a 5700.. it is an amazing camera, the form factor isn't that large, and it fits nicely in your hand, the picture quality is amazing too. go nikon

aethier

I have to agree. I also have a 5700, wonderful camera. I know a few other folks with various models of the cool pix line, all are very happy. Check out dpreview.com, they do great in-depth reviews and you may also find other cameras in your price/feature range.

One more note, for me optical zoom became a big issue. My first digital only had 2 or 3x optical zoom. I found it inadequate when photographing landscape (vacation pictures). Go for a large optical zoom.

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
Please go with Canon, you won't regret it! Read user reviews on both of these cameras from Yahoo! Shopping or something, the Canon makes people far happier. :)

yuc7zhd2

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2003
I just got a canon PowerShot S50 5 megapixel from macmall a few weeks ago. You might want to consider that model. It was 388. I originally was on the same track as you... S400 or S500, but amazon ran out of stock on the S400 and I thought the S500 was a bit pricey. Then I checked out the S400 at best buy, and I didn't even like the design in person, although I thought it looked nice online. The S50 is a bit bulkier, not too bulky, but it feels nice. I believe amazon stocked it for 388 the day after I bought from macmall, which is a great deal because they offer free shipping as well as no tax. Thats my 2 cents, but either canon or nikon are nice.

jzieske

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2003
Bloomington, MN
Personally I am a nikon fan. I have a nikon coolpix 5700 and I think it is a very nice digital cam. If you are at all thinking that you might really get into photography though I would consider a the new nikon D70. Granted the D70 is more expensive then any of the above mentioned camera ($1300 w/ lens). I think it is well worth it and am planning on getting one this weekend.

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
Good cameras dont make a good photographer, but its sure nice to own a nice camera. Pop down to the shops and spend some time playing with them. Ask the sales staff take a few shots with either camera burn a CD, take it home look at. Spend some time and you wont be disappointed.

Spyharpy

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2003
Bay Area, CA
I just ordered the S500 pack (extra battery, case & camera bag) from Costco.com. I currently own a Canon S45 (which I'll be selling soon) and had zero problems with it. I wanted a very portable and thin camera that would equal my S45 and the S500 fit the bill. My brother did the same and he's very happy. My sister also has an S45 and is extremely happy with it. Given the S500 lacks a few features the S45 has (and rarely use) I won't miss my S45.

When it comes to buying a digital camera, play with the models you want to buy at a store and see which one works for you and has the features you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.