Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Here is the whole short article:

Tyre-slasher jailed for 16 months

A cyclist who slashed about 2,000 car tyres after being soaked by a motorist has been jailed for 16 months.

Ashley Carpenter, who admitted slashing the tyres in 10 days, was sentenced at Bournemouth Crown Court.

He pleaded guilty to eight specimen charges of damaging the vehicles at Dorset Magistrates' Court in March.

It was said Carpenter, of Bournemouth, launched his campaign against motorists in December 2003, after being splashed when a car drove through a puddle.

—> BBC News <—

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I can't believe he only got 16 months... (and will only serve half of that.. English Justice 'eh) :rolleyes: the iGav Courts of Justice would had handed out a damn good hiding from all the people whose cars were damaged. Then have the Billy no mates tied to a lampost next to the biggest f**k off puddle they can find on the busiest road.... that should do it.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
iGAV said:
I can't believe he only got 16 months... (and will only serve half of that.. English Justice 'eh) :rolleyes: the iGav Courts of Justice would had handed out a damn good hiding from all the people whose cars were damaged. Then have the Billy no mates tied to a lampost next to the biggest f**k off puddle they can find on the busiest road.... that should do it.

a lot of times i feel like slashing cyclists tires (tyres).

Pandakin

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2004
he slashed my mum's car's tyres :(

that guy was a sicko - we live in the area where he was going that and he did that to my mum's little nissan micra - which she uses to take my little sister to kindergarden and do the shopping and stuff - it is also realy dangerous what he did - in terms of safety to people - it could have caused really terrible road accidents. Plus it costed a lot to get those tyres fixed by a a car garage. He deserves more time. :mad:

B

Bunnyman4

Yes this very fascinating, I’m for him, there’s a whole lot motorists who are very, very inconsiderate, did you know the first person every to carelessly killed, no let me rephrase that, murdered by a motorists, was in 1898, south London, a common lady.

Now I don’t have any feelings towards motorists at all.

It amazes me how so many of you can talk like this behind someone’s back:( , why you don’t even know the person, for all you know he’s properly one of many sweet people you would ever meet around the corner.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Mmm...digging up old threads to say that you have no feelings about motorists because one killed a lady in London over 100 years ago? :confused:

Welcome to MacRumors...I think.

To address the topic of the thread...I hate idiot cyclists. We work so hard for access and have to deal with so many dangerous and idiotic drivers (not usually that many around here, but it only takes a few), and then people like this go and screw things up.

B

Bunnyman4

That’s right, for all you know, you might be speaking with him right now!?:rolleyes:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Bunnyman4 said:
That’s right, for all you know, you might be speaking with him right now!?:rolleyes:

And I'd bet each and every one of the posters in this thread would say the same thing to his face.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Bunnyman4 said:
It amazes me how so many of you can talk like this behind someone’s back:( , why you don’t even know the person, for all you know he’s properly one of many sweet people you would ever meet around the corner.

I've never been too fond of the "an eye for an eye" kind of justice, even less this guy's version of "2000 eyes for an eye". Maybe he's a sweet guy but I'd still be scare to accidently step on his toes.

By the way, welcome to the forums. Enjoy your stay. Have a look at the newer stuff. This thread is 2 years old. ;) Care to introduce yourself?

B

Bunnyman4

WildCowboy said:
Mmm...digging up old threads to say that you have no feelings about motorists because one killed a lady in London over 100 years ago? :confused:

Welcome to MacRumors...I think.

To address the topic of the thread...I hate idiot cyclists. We work so hard for access and have to deal with so many dangerous and idiotic drivers (not usually that many around here, but it only takes a few), and then people like this go and screw things up.

A few a few, you wouldn’t know about speeding a car dangerously down a road that clearly says, 30MPH, now as for true speed you wouldn’t know about that if landed on you at 17,000MPH!?

No, motorists are show offs and there dangerous!

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Look, I sympathize with his anger towards motorists (I bike everywhere I go), but what he did was wrong, and illegal. The only way to better car-bike relations is for motorists and cyclists to have some sort of class or SOMETHING when they get their license or bike. I deal with too many cars who treat me like crap and threaten my life on a daily basis, but I also see a lot of novice cyclists who treat the road as their own and run all sorts of signs with no warning and whatnot.

That said, again, he's completely wrong in doing what he did, and a jerk to boot.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Ok, it's pretty dumb to resurrect an old thread like this (do people actually browse the archives?), but I'm interested in how he actually did this.

Has anyone here every actually tried to slash a tire? It's not a simple matter of opening your Swiss army knife and sticking it in. A tire is 1/2" thick rubber with tough fibre and sometimes wire through it. The only way to cut through that is with a hacksaw and that's going to take more than a few minutes.

By the way, I've never slashed a tire on a vehicle, but I've tried cutting up an old tire when I was a kid ... just for the hell of it.

Or did he just let the air out?

B

Bunnyman4

You wouldn’t have a clue?! As for carelessly kill children exacta, exacta and only get 12 weeks for taking a child’s life needlessly, I would think before you start judging someone’s motives for trying to stop motorists in there tracks.

You have know, idea!

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Jaffa Cake said:
Well, this thread was started more than sixteen months ago, so you never know.

Hope they treated you well on the inside, Ashley...

hahahahahahahahahaha :p

Bunnyman4 said:
That’s right, for all you know, you might be speaking with him right now!?

Indeed I might, and if I am... I hope you get splashed many, many more times.

Regards.

G

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Bunnyman4 said:
A few a few, you wouldn’t know about speeding a car dangerously down a road that clearly says, 30MPH, now as for true speed you wouldn’t know about that if landed on you at 17,000MPH!?

No, motorists are show offs and there dangerous!

uh? I once was rammed by a cyclist (messenger) who burned a red light. Am I to assume that all cyclists are dangerous show-offs?

The Cool Aid dude also once broke through my living room wall. Am I to assume that all corporate mascots are crazy trespassing vandals? What about count Chocula? Captain Highliner?

By the way. You should have picked the Political/Religion if you wanted to start a quick flame war. Much quicker.

B

Bunnyman4

Onizuka said:
Except I would tell him "slash my tires and I'll rape you with a pitchfork." And then watch him cry like the little nancy he is.

Heads up! You see that safe that’s going to fall on your head!? :D

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
srobert said:
uh? I once was rammed by a cyclist (messenger) who burned a red light. Am I to assume that all cyclists are dangerous show-offs?

The Cool Aid dude also once broke through my living room wall. Am I to assume that all corporate mascots are crazy trespassing vandals? What about count Chocula? Captain Highliner?

See, i agree with you here. It's that kind of mentality (not yours, but the OP) that gets these sorts of fights started. It's not all black and white. I see lots of jerks on bikes, but I follows the rules of the road and try to be respectful of cars. I also got hit (by a car, not a bike) while on my bike, and it was from someone that ran a stop sign. I don't go around accusing motorists of being lunatics, do I though?

B

Bunnyman4

plinden said:
Ok, it's pretty dumb to resurrect an old thread like this (do people actually browse the archives?), but I'm interested in how he actually did this.

Has anyone here every actually tried to slash a tire? It's not a simple matter of opening your Swiss army knife and sticking it in. A tire is 1/2" thick rubber with tough fibre and sometimes wire through it. The only way to cut through that is with a hacksaw and that's going to take more than a few minutes.

By the way, I've never slashed a tire on a vehicle, but I've tried cutting up an old tire when I was a kid ... just for the hell of it.

Or did he just let the air out?

No to stop the car in it’s tracks, what do you think, I was out just for the fun of it, maybe you should try it.

Did you all know a British Police officer went around in his county slashing car tyres, oh yes, and all he got was kicked off the Police force?

B

Bunnyman4

iGav said:
hahahahahahahahahaha :p

Indeed I might, and if I am... I hope you get splashed many, many more times.

Regards.

G

No, that’s no going to happen again, and I would choose you words carefully!

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Bunnyman4 said:
Did you all know a British Police officer went around in his county slashing car tyres, oh yes, and all he got was kicked off the Police force?

Ok… now the motorists AND the British justice systems are in league against cyclists.

You're seriously starting to confuse me. I have a hard time following you. What's your agenda?

Do you love Macs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.