Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
I've been looking at the price structure of HD movies from iTunes. As far as I can tell, it's only worth buying a movie if you're going to watch it 5 times or more.

I have only had an AppleTV for a few months, so I though I'd ask about rental availability. Once Apple has a movie available to rent, is it available to rent indefinitely? Do movies eventually become purchase only? Although HD movie sales are new, I'm guessing that there is some historical information from SD sales and rentals.

WG5516

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
If I'm not mistaken, you get 24hrs after you've first started your movie.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I have only rented one movie on iTunes. I prefer to buy them instead so I can watch them again. Yes, I have some movies I've probably watched 100+ times easily.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
I probably wasn't clear enough. I was assuming that you would decide to watch the movie and then complete watching it within the rental period.

What I'm wondering about is the next time I'm interested in watching the same movie. Would I be able to go to my AppleTV months from now and rent the same movie? Would it still be available for rent? Would Apple change its availability to "purchase only"?

I know you guys can't predict the future, but I'm guessing that there's some historical data.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
I probably wasn't clear enough. I was assuming that you would decide to watch the movie and then complete watching it within the rental period.

Once you purchase a movie, you have a set number of hours from the time you press 'play' to watch it. You can watch it within this space as many times as possible. Restart as much as you like. Fast forward. Rewind. Whatever.

If you then want to watch it again, you will have to re-rent or purchase it outright.

The only way I can see this becoming a problem is when the studios and Apple remove a movie from either the rental or purchase category - which they do.

One week a movie is available for rent only, then its rent and purchase, or even just purchase. Some are available rental only.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
One week a movie is available for rent only, then its rent and purchase, or even just purchase. Some are available rental only.

That's what I was concerned about. Although I think the 24 hour rental period should be more like 72 hours, I don't mind re-renting a movie if I want to watch it a month later. I just hope that renting is still an option a month later.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
i never buy movies. Do i watch them more then 5 times? nope... more than 2 times? nope. just isn't practical. I also dont like going to the theater to watch movies either unless it is IMAX.

tifftiff2

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
title

You have 30 days to click "play" on the movie. Once you click play however, you have simply 24 hours. It sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.