Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GenNovE

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Hello guys

I have an iPhone and a data plan with att. Today I decided to install BETA 2.
So while in town I decide to use skype used it all day amazing software.
And I am looking at my IBM THINKPAD T61 with its built in 3g modem and I decide to do an experiment. I take out the iphone's sim card out and pop in the DATA ONLY SIM from at&t and lo and behold my iphone works.

Of course no voice data but I am able to browse the internet and since I WAS ABLE TO BROWSE THE INTERNET i figured hey let me try SKYPE.

And what do you know I was using my iPhone with a data only sim card using skype all day to make phone calls.

How amazing is that?

I paid skype 29.95 for a whole year of unlimited landline & mobile. Would be awesome if it stayed this open. But we all know is temporary.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
and this is what the carriers all fear: that people will realize they dont need "voice" plans anymore.

i mean most people know the carriers are screwing them over, they just dont know how hard.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
The thing is to get a new iPhone without a contract.

And not always do you get a good 3G signal. As this improves I see this becoming an option. Cause my dads 3G chip isn't always so great. Or he just doesn't know how to use it. lol

dazcox5181

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Essex, UK
With both the 3.0 betas my skype has worked over 3G, pretty dire quality mind, but its skype what did i expect?

On o2 in UK, not jailbreaked or unlocked on normal iPhone contract

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
im just pissed that at&t can charge for text messages AND a data plan

talk about double dipping

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Please don't expect Skype to work on anything but WiFi once OS 3.0 is finished. The beta code will be updated to close this glaring gap (at least for AT&T). Enjoy it while you can... it will not last...:(

Dave

GenNovE

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
I know is for the beta only.

Would be awesome to have the ability to use it over 3g.

In other news.

The MMS issue people are having is on ATT part.

I put my sim on my blackberry bold noticed my account page on att
said my device was the bold.

And changed the messaging to att unlimited opposed to iphone text messaging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.