Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2007
this would be a great addition..is there a good word processing app out there?

Ranona

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2009
I saw an ad in craigslist someone is selling his iphone 3g white and its 8gb for pretty good price. But I am little confused to buy it.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
As a dedicated Microsoft hata, I'm waiting for someone else. iWork for iphone would be nice, or at least Pages.

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
I saw an ad in craigslist someone is selling his iphone 3g white and its 8gb for pretty good price. But I am little confused to buy it.

1. Wrong thread.
2. there is no such thing as a white 8GB
3. You should wait until summer for new hardware

to the OP, this on of the features that have been holding me back from getting an iPhone. i cant wait to sell my Bold. Ever since 3.0 came out i have hated my BB more and more

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Office on the tiny iPhone doesn't sound one bit appealing to me, however, having the ability to export data to an office document certainly does.

odelay

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
QuickOffice for iPhone

So, looks like QuickWord is imminent. I've been using the QuickOffice apps since the first free version of MobileFiles was released followed by the Pro version with Excel editing capabilities, then emailing functionality, then recently renamed to Quicksheet. Word editing has been missing up until now, but looks like it's imminent with an April availability on the QuickOffice website: http://www.quickoffice.com/quickoffice_iphone/

I'm keen to see how Documents to Go looks, but this has been in development for so long now, it's anyone's guess when Dataviz will actually release it. So I'll probably upgrade to the full QuickOffice suite, when it comes out this month. Can tell whether it'll be both apps combined into one single app, or two separate. Hopefully it'll be combined.

Chumbake

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
So, looks like QuickWord is imminent. I've been using the QuickOffice apps since the first free version of MobileFiles was released followed by the Pro version with Excel editing capabilities, then emailing functionality, then recently renamed to Quicksheet. Word editing has been missing up until now, but looks like it's imminent with an April availability on the QuickOffice website: http://www.quickoffice.com/quickoffice_iphone/

I'm keen to see how Documents to Go looks, but this has been in development for so long now, it's anyone's guess when Dataviz will actually release it. So I'll probably upgrade to the full QuickOffice suite, when it comes out this month. Can tell whether it'll be both apps combined into one single app, or two separate. Hopefully it'll be combined.

I read that word and excel combined will be $20 or you can get them individually for $12 each.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Yes, but they screwed their existing MobileFiles Pro customers by "downgrading" the name to Quicksheet, to imply it's now a dedicated spreadsheet app with other features added. When I bought MobileFiles Pro, the website said they were working on adding Word editing support so naturally I assumed they would add it later on as MobileFiles Pro was the top of the line app they had and there's nothing higher than a "Pro" app. Guess that wasn't the case so instead of offering Quicksheet separately from MobileFiles Pro (and discontinuing it for new users) and providing a free upgrade to Quickoffice when it debuts for existing MobileFiles Pro users, they decided to screw them for additional $$$.

I would've bought MobileFiles 2.0 (now called Quickoffice Files) for much cheaper if I knew about this.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
I would've bought MobileFiles 2.0 (now called Quickoffice Files) for much cheaper if I knew about this.

Must admit that I'm feeling a bit p'd off as well. So, having gone from the free viewer to the Pro version, thinking Word would be added, I now find that I've got to pay yet again to get the remaining functions I was expecting. Kind've felt the writing was on the wall when I got the update to Pro and noticed it was renamed. Sucks big time.

Chumbake

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
I called Dataviz yesterday and asked for more info. They were no help. They are aware that QuickOffice is coming out but still would not give me any more info other than sign up for the email notification. I've been on that list for 2 months and have received 1 email that said, "it's harder than we thought, what are you most interested in".

If Dataviz doesn't come out with some info or a at least a basic time table, they are going to lose a bunch of business to QuickOffice.

odelay

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
I've got it. The "edit" button on the main screen seems to crash the app every time, even after restarts/reinstalls. However I believe this is an OS issue as I'm running OS3.0 beta3, and I'm seeing the same issue with QuickSheet, and that was fine in previous builds. But for now I can't access my iDisk because of this.

First impressions of the doc editing are very very good. It's very smooth, has the main functionality I need such as fonts & font colours, bulletting, cut/copy/paste, landscape editing, very fast scrolling for big documents.

I just hope apple fix whatever is causing the edit button issue in the next beta so I can access my iDisk again.

I'm kinda confused as to why they are charging £11.99 for this when QuickSheet is £3.99, so one would assume QuickWord would also be £3.99, which would make it an additional £4 just for the luxury of having both apps in one package. I don't see what other features QuickOffice provides over the standalone apps. A bit cheeky if you ask me. But i guess it's a reasonable price for a full office suite.

Will be interesting how the soon to be released Documents To Go from Dataviz compares. Knowing me I'll probably end up buying that as well! I have a problem...:)

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
odelay, seems like documents to go is very close to release, like early/mid may close. they have also already released docs to go for the G1 android phone and the reviews for that have been largely positive.

i don't have much experience with docs to go, but if the past is any indication of the future, will it be a better product then quickoffice?

odelay

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
odelay, seems like documents to go is very close to release, like early/mid may close. they have also already released docs to go for the G1 android phone and the reviews for that have been largely positive.

i don't have much experience with docs to go, but if the past is any indication of the future, will it be a better product then quickoffice?

I've got limited experience with both apps apart from years back on my old palmV. But from what I've read, Dataviz is probably bringing a superior alternative to the QuickOffice suite. We'll just have to wait and see I guess, as they've been very secretive about this release.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
First legit mobile MS Office Suite now available

For you guys who have been waiting for a mobile MS Office suite that can edit/produce MS Word files, there is now one available. It is from Quickoffice and price is $19.99.

No c/p on my iPhone, but search Quickoffice Mobile Office Suite to get a link.

The only problem with this right now is to get doc files onto this app, you either need to produce a new one within the app, grab it from MobileMe, or transfer it into the app via WiFi. You can export files out of the app via email or WiFi. However, a big strike against this is app is that you cannot download doc files to your app from your email.

ThanatosId

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
This is my first negative post here on MacRumors.... DO NOT BUY THIS COMPANY'S SOFTWARE. Read the reviews for their former MobileFiles Pro (now "quicksheet"). They are one of the most unethical companies I have ever dealt with. They promised this upgrade to all early adopters and then changed the app to a less than "Pro" version and released this new one at a ridiculous price point. Buyer Beware. I would much rather say positive things on these forums, but I really don't want potential buyers to be bit the way all of us early adopters were.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
This is my first negative post here on MacRumors.... DO NOT BUY THIS COMPANIES SOFTWARE. Read the reviews for their former MobileFiles Pro (now "quicksheet"). They are one of the most unethical companies I have ever dealt with. They promised this upgrade to all early adopters and then changed the app to a less than "Pro" version and released this new one at a ridiculous price point. Buyer Beware. I would much rather say positive things on these forums, but I really don't want potential buyers to be bit the way all of us early adopters were.

IIRC, they used to make MF Pro and instead of offering a free version update, they just renamed it and treated it as a totally new app. In effect, if you wanted to "update" your MF Pro app, you could not get it for free (as every other app does). You had to buy the updated version. They got around this by basically just renaming the app (as if it was a truly new app). Yes, that was very sketchy and I hope over developers don't start to do this.

aok1975

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
This is my first negative post here on MacRumors.... DO NOT BUY THIS COMPANIES SOFTWARE. Read the reviews for their former MobileFiles Pro (now "quicksheet"). They are one of the most unethical companies I have ever dealt with. They promised this upgrade to all early adopters and then changed the app to a less than "Pro" version and released this new one at a ridiculous price point. Buyer Beware. I would much rather say positive things on these forums, but I really don't want potential buyers to be bit the way all of us early adopters were.

Quite a few developers do this in the app store. Look at the makers of xplane. For different types of aircraft they have a different app.

Red Sox

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
Although I've been waiting for an office app like this, I think I'm going wait for the official version from microsoft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.