Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Hi, I've searched the forums for something similar, but I couldn't find a posting with the answer. I know Apple has a 90 day phone support with new powermacs, but how do you contact Apple to get your powermac replaced after 90 days?

I recently installed a Radeon 9800 Pro retail in my powermac, and the powersupply has been making this pulsing hum noise that is driving me crazy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
try

1-800-MYAPPLE or 1-800-APLCARE
They should at least be able to point you in the right direction.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
appleretailguy said:
1-800-MYAPPLE or 1-800-APLCARE
They should at least be able to point you in the right direction.

So you can call them even if you're out of your 90 day phone support period? This is so confusing.

krisjon

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2004
San Diego, CA
ZildjianKX said:
So you can call them even if you're out of your 90 day phone support period? This is so confusing.

The 90 days is for tech support. If you have a possible warranty or repair issue, calling the 800 number will get you pointed in the right direction.

On another note, who installed the graphics card? Did you do it yourself or have an Apple certified tech do it? It could be an issue because any problems stemming from adding an aftermarket video card might not be covered.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
krisjon said:
The 90 days is for tech support. If you have a possible warranty or repair issue, calling the 800 number will get you pointed in the right direction.

On another note, who installed the graphics card? Did you do it yourself or have an Apple certified tech do it? It could be an issue because any problems stemming from adding an aftermarket video card might not be covered.

It wouldn't matter if an Apple certified tech installed it or not... like you said, if it is stemming from a 3rd party product that didn't come with the computer, it's not covered. If you install your own videocard or hard drive, ram, optical drive, etc, that won't void your warranty. If the new Radeon 9800 Pro's power draw is overtaxing the powersupply, that is definately Apple's problem for using crappy power supplies. I wonder how much worse it would get if I installed a second hard drive... hmmm...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.