Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkramb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Am i the only one who is getting an error message when going to this site? i hope it isn't gone for good, I love that site and use it for all of my movies.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
They've been talking about a complete site redesign over the past couple months... maybe they've finally gotten around to it and are working on getting it implemented?

jkramb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
does anyone have thumbnails for the bourne ultimatum, and collateral that they could maybe e-mail me? if you do, send me a private message please.

eschulist

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
impawards is nice if youre not picky, but all the posters are covered in studio crap and have lots of unnecessary text.

I used getvideo last night so I don't know what the problem is.

I'd recommend checking out http://www.themoviedb.org/ as they have posters and wallpapers for most movies in the last few years and most of it is clean.

A place I also use, but costs money is http://www.movieposterdb.com/
They even have the most obscure and foreign films. Any popular movie is also going to most likely have a high resolution poster up to 5,000 pixels with no text

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
They've been talking about a complete site redesign over the past couple months... maybe they've finally gotten around to it and are working on getting it implemented?
That is what I am hoping as I need some artwork for films I have just encoded and half-tagged.

@srl7741 and eschulist those are bad sites...

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
That is what I am hoping as I need some artwork for films I have just encoded and half-tagged.

@srl7741 and eschulist those are bad sites...

What do u mean by Bad? I'm still learning so a follow up to that would be great. Thanks

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
I know the admin/moderators from GVAW come here every now and again, if they could tell us what is going on that would be great:)

Or they could put a holding page up saying what is happening.

colinmack

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
What do u mean by Bad? I'm still learning so a follow up to that would be great. Thanks

They tend to not have 'clean' artwork - not the proper dimensions, not high enough quality, from a scan instead of an original digital source, or littered with credits or movie dates on the poster.

Fine if you're not that picky, but the getvideoartwork artwork is leaps and bounds better, as the iTunes artwork is high-resolution, clean, properly sized, normally is prepared from an original source, and looks much better and consistent across your entire iTunes library...

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
Wouldn`t suprise me if Apple hasn`t had the site shut down for hosting their copyrighted artworks.
It isn't Apple's artwork at all, the studios own the rights to them not Apple, if GVAW got closed down for giving decent artwork and another site like IPMAwards which has crap isn't that is crud.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Well maybe one of the studios then, I love the site, I get all my artwork from there and don`t want it see it go. But it makes you wonder whats happened.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Thanks

They tend to not have 'clean' artwork - not the proper dimensions, not high enough quality, from a scan instead of an original digital source, or littered with credits or movie dates on the poster.

Fine if you're not that picky, but the getvideoartwork artwork is leaps and bounds better, as the iTunes artwork is high-resolution, clean, properly sized, normally is prepared from an original source, and looks much better and consistent across your entire iTunes library...

After looking over the other site i noticed that. I have now started switching out many of my Album Art work. Thanks for the info.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Thats good news, I`ve just finished ripping a stack of DVDs and didn`t realise just how much I missed it until it was gone.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Thats good news, I`ve just finished ripping a stack of DVDs and didn`t realise just how much I missed it until it was gone.

My thoughts exactly. I was all ready to go through a bunch of things I've ripped and just needed to tag but then had to delay it all. Good to know its back!

SeymourSkinner

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2010
The site went down about three days ago and the message would suggest it was taken down by the hosting service without the site owner's permission. It was/is a brilliant site with the best artwork online so I really hope it comes back. I know Apple don't "own" the artwork but the fact that this site was also hosting the "iTunes version" of many covers was probably going to draw unwanted attention sooner or later. If it doesn't return I hope the owner can upload the vast database to another service and perhaps give details here. Anyone got any further info?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.