Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Apr 3, 2009, 01:53 PM   #1
Howard Brazee
macrumors 6502

Exclamation point

What does it mean when a playlist in my iPod has an exclamation point next to it?

I created that playlist at home on my Mac, but noticed it at work on an XP machine.

(I synchronize by the clumsy method of turning on synchronization at home, and then switching to manual when things are synchronized. I know that there has to be a better way, but I haven't discovered it).
Howard Brazee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2009, 02:32 PM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

It can mean lots of different things. What message comes up when you double click on the song to play it?
Old Apr 4, 2009, 09:22 AM   #3
Howard Brazee
macrumors 6502

The ! is next to the smart play list in the iPod on iTunes. A quick check doesn't show any song which looks like it has a ! next to it.

The same playlist on the rest of my iTunes doesn't have an !.

Just a thought. That smart playlist references a different playlist that isn't synchronized. It excludes songs which are on my Christmas playlist.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 01:08 PM   #4
darklyt
macrumors regular

Can you play the playlist on your iPod? When the exclamation mark appears next to something in iTunes, it means it can't be found by the path it expects it to be on.
darklyt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 01:56 PM   #5
Howard Brazee
macrumors 6502

It's a large play list. It is possible that there is a song that I cannot play, but I haven't discovered it yet.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:17 PM   #6
foxxy.425
macrumors newbie

! original file cannot be found

Okay, I have a PC and I have had these songs downloaded on to Itunes forever now. All of a sudden I receive the exclamation point next to the songs, and error message that says original file cannot be found. I synced my ipod today and I barely have any songs available to sync. I am really upset and lost 700 or more songs. Some of the music is original music from Saomoa, etc. Can I recover these songs somehow
foxxy.425 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:23 AM   #7
Howard Brazee
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxy.425 View Post
Okay, I have a PC and I have had these songs downloaded on to Itunes forever now. All of a sudden I receive the exclamation point next to the songs, and error message that says original file cannot be found. I synced my ipod today and I barely have any songs available to sync. I am really upset and lost 700 or more songs. Some of the music is original music from Saomoa, etc. Can I recover these songs somehow
I don't know, but I want to remind everybody to learn from your experience. Back up!

In this case, have your iTunes on two different computers (preferably in two different buildings). My work computer and my home computer have all of the same iTunes.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 02:45 PM   #8
foxxy.425
macrumors newbie

!

Do you think that apple tech support will be able to recover the songs.
foxxy.425 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2009, 04:25 PM   #9
Cinematographer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklyt View Post
When the exclamation mark appears next to something in iTunes, it means it can't be found by the path it expects it to be on.
Exactly. And the exclamation point next to the playlist indicates that the smart playlist is based on another playlist which doen't exist anymore. I've seen that several times.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 05:28 PM   #10
kh14
macrumors member

the reason why it wont play is because the song you want to play is not located in the iTunes music folder anymore. If the song is still on your computer but not in the "iTunes Music" folder then i suggest moving it to the correct folder. Hope this helps
kh14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 07:53 AM   #11
Frungi
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to Frungi Send a message via AIM to Frungi Send a message via MSN to Frungi Send a message via Yahoo to Frungi Send a message via Skype™ to Frungi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brazee View Post
The ! is next to the smart play list in the iPod on iTunes. A quick check doesn't show any song which looks like it has a ! next to it.

The same playlist on the rest of my iTunes doesn't have an !.

Just a thought. That smart playlist references a different playlist that isn't synchronized. It excludes songs which are on my Christmas playlist.
Thatís exactly the problem. If you changed that (maybe exclude songs in the Holiday genre) or included that playlist on your iPod, you wouldnít have the !. Really all it means is that your iPod canít auto-update the playlist, like if you have it sorted by play count or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxy.425 View Post
What happened? Did you accidentally delete your music folder? If you canít find the songs, all you can really do is contact iTunes support and explain the situation, and hope they let you redownload the music youíve bought from them (itís possible!).
Frungi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 09:01 AM   #12
windowpain
macrumors 6502

foxxy, you should take a look in finder and see if the files are still on the computer. Please don't go messing in the itunes music folder, if you need to keep things arranged the simplest way to do it is to check the boxes below (see pic) in the preferences menu (its under advanced)

Try using the 'consolidate library' option to move everything to the itunes library (if it isn't already)

It is unlikely (from what you say) that your music has been deleted.

edit: Just realized you are on a pc..but most of this should still be the same. Try seeing if the music is still on your pc somewhere, maybe its in the mymusic folder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	itunes.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	166941  
windowpain is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod