Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abarna21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
I want to ask you witch is the best A2DP bluetooth stereo headsets for our newly enabled iphones?

What do you say about JayBird?

wildonrio

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
It's finally time guys...let's talk stereo bluetooth headsets!

In celebration of A2DP being added to 3.0, I dedicate this thread to finding the best stereo bluetooth headset for the iPhone. So let's scour the net, take a chance on some headsets, and share our joys and pains with each other until we find the best one. If you've used a stereo BT headset with 3.0, please answer the following 10 questions for us:

1. What is the brand and model?
  2. Do the skip forward/back buttons work with the iPhone?
  3. What about the play/pause button?
  4. What about the volume controls?
  5. Rate the sound quality on a scale of 1-10
  6. Rate the bass on a scale of 1-10
  7. Does it have a microphone? If so, how's the sound quality for the other person?
  8. Is there anything particularly annoying about it? (Bad battery life, bad range, difficult to pair, ugly, uses a dongle, cheap feeling, etc.)
  9. How much does it generally cost?
  10. If possible, please provide a link to a good place to buy them.

As people find good models, I'll post them here in the OP so everyone knows!

GOOD MODELS:

101at9

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2009
Long Island
-Motorola S9
-Nope
-Yes
-Volume control is seperate from the phones so yes.:confused:
-Yes. Volume is very low because it has no arm extension for the mic. You have to kinda yell.
-Nothing really annoying aside from the mic. Nice pair comfort and build quality wise. Odd considering its a motorola product.:p
-I paid 100. Probably got ripped off.
-I got them at best buy but I don't like to support them. It seems there becoming an only option(without waiting for them to arrive by delivery).:(

My stereo Bluetooth worked since B2 but the play/pause didn't work. But in B3 it does.

goingblue

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2009
Ahwatukee, AZ
First let me say...I finally recieved my Motorla S9 headphone today from an ebay auction. I was geeking out all day long showing off...COOL. Cool. kewl.

1.What is the brand and model? Motorala S9
2.Do the skip forward/back buttons work with the iPhone? I don't think so.
3.What about the play/pause button? Negative
4.What about the volume controls? On the head set. Volume does not go up or down when adjusting on the phone.
5.Rate the sound quality on a scale of 1-10 - pleasantly suprised 6 or 7 (set on loudness in iphone config)
6.Rate the bass on a scale of 1-10 6
7.Does it have a microphone? If so, how's the sound quality for the other person? Seemed ok. I don't use blue tooth for talking on the phone so I'm not a good judge.
8.Is there anything particularly annoying about it? (Bad battery life, bad range, difficult to pair, ugly, uses a dongle, cheap feeling, etc.) - I'm worried that if I sweat on these things at the gym they will stop working. This is a big deal with headsets of this kind.
9.How much does it generally cost? $40
10.If possible, please provide a link to a good place to buy them. I found them on ebay. There were a lot available. I expect demaned to go waaay up.

Did I mention this is cool! If there was one thing that was going to destroy my first iPhone was catching the wire on somthing while doing something quick...

Cheers.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
(Reserved)

This is by far worse than any "+1", "QFT", or "1st post" I've ever seen. :rolleyes:

But to answer your question, months and months away from actually benefiting from it I would say the Jabra is the way to go at this point. Motorola has never been awesome for me ... personal opinion derived from personal use.

ptsube

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
To be quite honest this is not a mainstream market and manufacturers do not have a lot of data on what people like when choosing a2dp headsets. What I can tell you is that it has to be something small, the ability to choose between 1 or 2 earbuds and I think I found it.

Jabra BT 8040
http://www.jabra.com/Sites/Jabra/Na-us/products/Pages/JabraBT8040.aspx

just ordered it.

I have three of these. I swap them out during the day as the batteries go. AVRCP functions are non-existent, though. Quite comfy and it stays put. I hope you didn't pay more than $30 for it.

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
1. Sony DR-BT22
2. No
3. Yes
4. Headset has its own volume control, it doesn't alter the volume on the phone itself.
5. Sounds as good as your average pair of wired headphones.. so I'd say 7/10.. they sound far better than best buy's insignia BT headset.
6. These are over the ear style, so I'd rate the bass around 4.. you can hear some decent thump, but they don't have the bass level that in-ear phones can have.
7. Yes, haven't heard any complaints
8. The headphones are collapsible, so they feel a little flimsy until you put them on, they are very light and comfortable, though. No dongle, no pairing problems, range is good right around 30 ft, depending on the number of walls, battery life is ~12 hrs.
9. Average price is around $80-90
10. Tigerdirect has them for $29.99 + shipping

I feel like these were a real bargain at $30.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Let me just say that the MOTOROKR S9 series hurts like hell. The sound was good, but the fit was terrible on my head.

I traded those out for some Sony Ericsson HBH-IS800 that fit much better.

1) Sony Ericsson HBH-IS800
2) These have no forward/back controls on the headset.
3) The play/pause button does work. (It only has a single button.)
4) Software volume control on the iPhone doesn't seem to be implemented yet. There are no volume controls on the headset itself.
5) 8, they compare well to my Bose In Ear headphones.
6) 8.
7) It sounds okay considering I wear the wire behind my head which puts the microphone in a less optimal position.
8) Incomplete iPhone software prevents me from using them with my phone for now. They work quite well with my Macs for now though.
9) I got these for $100, but they'll normally run $140 - 199
10) http://www.google.com/

wildonrio

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
This is by far worse than any "+1", "QFT", or "1st post" I've ever seen. :rolleyes:

You realize I am just reserving the second post in the thread just case I run out of room in the OP to list the best headsets we find right? Just thinking ahead here. :)

I'll list one of my own:

1. Model: Kensington K33436US
  2. Skip buttons: No
  3. Play/Pause: Yes
  4. Volume: Yes
  5. Sound: 9
  6. Bass: 8
  7. Mic: Yes (haven't tested it yet)
  8. Bad: It can be overcharged and broken, so I hear.
  9. Cost: ~$50
  10. Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

smshopper

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2009
Sony Ericsson HBH-DS980

Overall I really like this headset, the ear buds are so comfortable (I have really small ears) and they are very secure. The sound is really good.

1. Sony Ericsson HBH-DS980
2. The skip buttons do not work
3. Play/pause works
4. Volume works
5. Sound - 8
6. Bass - 7
7. Mic - 7
8. You have to pair it each time (enter in pin #), has a
dongle but it's light.
9. Paid $100, ranges from $100-150
10. Bought mine at Frys in store

Petrochik

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009
I have three of these. I swap them out during the day as the batteries go. AVRCP functions are non-existent, though. Quite comfy and it stays put. I hope you didn't pay more than $30 for it.

No no 28.85 including shipping. Coming today. This is the solution until the apple ones come out.

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
First let me say...I finally recieved my Motorla S9 headphone today from an ebay auction. I was geeking out all day long showing off...COOL. Cool. kewl.

1.What is the brand and model? Motorala S9
2.Do the skip forward/back buttons work with the iPhone? I don't think so.
3.What about the play/pause button? Negative
4.What about the volume controls? On the head set. Volume does not go up or down when adjusting on the phone.
5.Rate the sound quality on a scale of 1-10 - pleasantly suprised 6 or 7 (set on loudness in iphone config)
6.Rate the bass on a scale of 1-10 6
7.Does it have a microphone? If so, how's the sound quality for the other person? Seemed ok. I don't use blue tooth for talking on the phone so I'm not a good judge.
8.Is there anything particularly annoying about it? (Bad battery life, bad range, difficult to pair, ugly, uses a dongle, cheap feeling, etc.) - I'm worried that if I sweat on these things at the gym they will stop working. This is a big deal with headsets of this kind.
9.How much does it generally cost? $40
10.If possible, please provide a link to a good place to buy them. I found them on ebay. There were a lot available. I expect demaned to go waaay up.

Did I mention this is cool! If there was one thing that was going to destroy my first iPhone was catching the wire on somthing while doing something quick...

Cheers.

On Amazon the S9 are only $50 for a limited time but are normally $120. link

wildonrio

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
As soon as someone finds one that has the skip controls that work with the iPhone, I'll post it under the good models in the OP.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Wish Jawbone Would Make Stereo Headset

I really wish Jawbone would get into the game with a stereo headset. I guess it would have to be a wired streetstyle between the left and right ear pieces. I am hoping that the popularity of the iPhone 3GS and/or 3.0 with BT stereo is going to accelerate the demand for this. My friends over at Head-fi are probably rolling over in their graves :p

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
S9 would have been great. Until Apple supports track control, I can't seem to justify getting one yet.

dauerhippo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Do you know if they happen to sell any bluetooth stereo headsets at the Apple store? (I ask, b/c I have a big giftcard sitting in my drawer).

Thanks!

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
As soon as someone finds one that has the skip controls that work with the iPhone, I'll post it under the good models in the OP.

None will work with skip tracks control. Apple support page states that the BT profile they use for the iPhone 3.0 doesn't support it. So no matter what device we buy it will never work with forward/back track skip control. It's up to Apple to provide the function.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Does anyone know how those S9s differ from the S9HDs that they also have? Is there a significant sound quality difference or something?

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
I have the Voyager 855s and they work well. Comfortable and it's nice to be able to use it just as a voice ear piece when you want. It also cost less than $40.

Note: BT pairing doesn't work great with Nike+ for jogging. Tends to skip but I think it's the Nike app that is causing the conflict.

gr8whtd0pe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Dallas, NC
I have the Voyager 855s and they work well. Comfortable and it's nice to be able to use it just as a voice ear piece when you want. It also cost less than $40.

Note: BT pairing doesn't work great with Nike+ for jogging. Tends to skip but I think it's the Nike app that is causing the conflict.

Could it be the shake to shuffle doing it?

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Voyager 855

I should be getting mine in the next couple of days Fedex is taking forever 7 days from Jersy to Michigan :rolleyes: any way I hope to compare a couple BT and give some input on the BT to FM Motorola unit I got! btw I got the 855 for $30 new

MrMarc

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
  1. What is the brand and model?
  2. Do the skip forward/back buttons work with the iPhone?
  3. What about the play/pause button?
  4. What about the volume controls?
  5. Rate the sound quality on a scale of 1-10
  6. Rate the bass on a scale of 1-10
  7. Does it have a microphone? If so, how's the sound quality for the other person?
  8. Is there anything particularly annoying about it? (Bad battery life, bad range, difficult to pair, ugly, uses a dongle, cheap feeling, etc.)
  9. How much does it generally cost?
  10. If possible, please provide a link to a good place to buy them.

1. BLUETREK ST1
  2. No (From what I've read, this is currently a limitation of OS 3.0)
  3. Yes
  4. Yes (Note: also includes SRS WOW HD 3D Surround)
  5. Because of the available SRS WOW Effects, they can sound better than the OEM wired headphones. Mind you, these won't by any means replace any high-end sets. Quality is also reduced simply by the fact that it's streaming wirelessly. That alone degrades quality.
  6. Unless you get in-ear buds to replace them, they sound similarly to the OEM headphones, since they also do not sport the in-ear design. SRS WOW offers some bass-enhancing settings, however.
  7. Not too different from my previous Plantronics Discovery 925 bluetooth earpiece, which is by far the best sounding one I've tried from the AT&T store.
  8. The back of the neckband, which is where most of the bulk is, can get in the way of collars and/or hoods when you wear them and how you position it (or how it sits) on your head/neck.
  9. You can easily get one for $25 and up.
  10. I bought mine off of an eBay store (http://www.ebay.com) since TigerDirect (http://www.tigerdirect.com) was out of stock at the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.