Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alumac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
I love that even after 2 years of use, I keep discovering new things about the OS. And these tiny discoveries make a world of difference!

Like today I discovered that when using sliders (like the iTunes song slider, Photoshop sliders, etc), I can reset the slider by moving the mouse away from the slider while holding the mouse button pressed. THIS IS AMAZING!

Please post any observations you've made about other such (tiny) features!

macuserx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2006
If you hold shift whilst doing exposé, dashboard or minimise it will make those actions happen in slow motion.

dragging a widget onto the dashboard whilst holding shift looks sweet :cool:

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
If you hold shift whilst doing exposé, dashboard or minimise it will make those actions happen in slow motion.

dragging a widget onto the dashboard whilst holding shift looks sweet :cool:

does that have a purpose though? why would you ever need that in slow motion?

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Like today I discovered that when using sliders (like the iTunes song slider, Photoshop sliders, etc), I can reset the slider by moving the mouse away from the slider while holding the mouse button pressed. THIS IS AMAZING!

Huh? What do you mean "slider" and "reset?" :confused:

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
The Text Edit and Keynote icons both have a message on them. The Keynote one is hard to make out, but it has been decoded.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Regarding sliders.

Does nothing with either the navigation slider on an enlarged image or the sliders in the Levels dialogue box.

10.5.6 on a MBP17 in CS3.

messedkid

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2007
Oshawa, ON
The Text Edit and Keynote icons both have a message on them. The Keynote one is hard to make out, but it has been decoded.

Holy crap!

Just looked at TextEdit with Cover Flow. Nice find. :p

"Dear Kate,

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they can change things.

Take Care,
John Appleseed"

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain

The Text Edit icon is just this old Apple commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvn_Ied9t4M

Another great easter egg, if you have a Windows server on your network, it will show a CRT with a BSOD for the icon.

bsod.png

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
The Text Edit icon is just this old Apple commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvn_Ied9t4M

Another great easter egg, if you have a Windows server on your network, it will show a CRT with a BSOD for the icon.

bsod.png

This is one of my favourites, but am I right in saying that it isn't consistent? Sometimes the main file server at university shows the regular LCD monitor for a PC whereas other times it shows the CRT.

waffles123

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
This is one of my favourites, but am I right in saying that it isn't consistent? Sometimes the main file server at university shows the regular LCD monitor for a PC whereas other times it shows the CRT.

I believe it shows a PC like the image above when it is connected to a Microsoft PC on network, and an Apple Cinema Display when it is connected to a Mac on a network.

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
I believe it shows a PC like the image above when it is connected to a Microsoft PC on network, and an Apple Cinema Display when it is connected to a Mac on a network.

If you zoom into the preview.app icon, the boy on that picture looks scary. I cannot depict what they are trying to do with that icon...

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando

Actually, it'll show the PC BSOD anytime it's connected via Samba (Windows filesharing), even if it's a Mac. It will also show the actual icon of whatever Mac it's connected to if it can identify it. My laptop shows up as an Aluminum MacBook, while my wife's is white, and the work computer is an Aluminum iMac.

jW

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London

Sorry what? :confused:

What is the "iTunes song slider" and what does it mean to reset them?

mojojojo333

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2008
Cardiff, UK
ctrl-alt-cmd-8 inverts the colours - any practical reason for this? just looks cool to me.

hold cmd+scroll up - this zooms in no matter what you're doing - quite useful at times

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Huh? What do you mean "slider" and "reset?" :confused:

Sorry what? :confused:

What is the "iTunes song slider" and what does it mean to reset them?

The progress bar at the top of iTunes.

What the OP means is that if you are dragging the slider then, with the mouse button still depressed, move the pointer away from the slider and it "springs back" to where it was when you started dragging - e.g. if you are 55 seconds into a song, drag the slider to 2 mins then move away from the slider it'll jump back to 55 secs.

Personally, I've seen this happen on Windows and Linux. I guess it depends on the toolkit used to create the app's GUI.

Actually, it'll show the PC BSOD anytime it's connected via Samba (Windows filesharing), even if it's a Mac.

Just tried this and it shows my FreeBSD mailserver which shares using Samba with a BSOD - damn cheek!! :D

The biggest surprise about OS X for me (only had my Mac for 3 months) was discovering, on watching a video tutorial on the Apple site, that it is called OS 10 - I always called it Oh Ess Ecks - in fact I still do as I can't get out of the habit :rolleyes: :p

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
If you zoom into the preview.app icon, the boy on that picture looks scary. I cannot depict what they are trying to do with that icon...

It looks normal in the 512x512 version. Maybe you've been watching too many horror movies with children :p

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Completely pointless:
The iTunes 8 icon has a CD with APPLE 2006 ITUNES 7 written on.

The best easter egg was in the OS X Beta, where hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL would bring up a dialog saying: this isn't DOS!

Sometimes useful:
[1] Command-clicking on a dock icon will reveal in Finder.
[2] Command-clicking on the file or folder name (displayed at the top of the window) in Finder and document based applications (e.g. TextEdit, Pages, Photoshop) will show the path to the file.
[3] In Safari, command-return opens the current address in the location bar in a new tab.
[4] In expose, hitting tab will cycle through each apps open windows.
[5] Typing a forward slash or tilde (~) in open/close dialog brings up the Go to Folder dialog immediately.
[6] Hitting tab in the Go to Folder dialog autocompletes.
[7] In /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/ there is CPU.menu. Click on it and you get a CPU icon in your menu bar. Choose Show Processor Palette. Click on the show toolbar button for more display options.

dirt farmer

Suspended
Feb 23, 2005
Not really an Easter Egg, per se. But somehwere in your .usr/share folder there is a recipe for Mrs. Fields cookies!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.