Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Apr 4, 2009, 10:32 AM   #1
Soulstorm
macrumors 68000

How to insert nil to an NSArray?

In my program I have a problem.

I want to be able to make an NSMutable array that accepts as many arguments as I want, and I want to be able to insert a 'nil' at its end.

Is that possible?
Soulstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 10:47 AM   #2
dantherevelator
macrumors regular

Use an NSNull.
dantherevelator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:21 AM   #3
lee1210
macrumors 68040

why do you want to do this? You can ask an array for it's length, so you don't need a special element to tell you you're at the end.

-Lee
lee1210 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 04:04 AM   #4
Soulstorm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Use an NSNull
From Apple docs:
Quote:
The NSNull instance is semantically equivalent to nil, however it is also important to appreciate that it is not equal to nil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1210 View Post
why do you want to do this? You can ask an array for it's length, so you don't need a special element to tell you you're at the end.

-Lee
I am building an extension to an existing library for which I don't have the original source. Inside that library, there is a class that has a function that accepts variable arguments, with nil at the end.

Last edited by Soulstorm; Apr 5, 2009 at 04:17 AM.
Soulstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 06:25 AM   #5
eddietr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulstorm View Post
I am building an extension to an existing library for which I don't have the original source. Inside that library, there is a class that has a function that accepts variable arguments, with nil at the end.
Well, that function doesn't accept an NSArray then, right?

So I would add the terminating nil when you actually call that function (in other words, when you construct the list for that function). Maybe add a category to NSArray with a method that returns this arg list null terminated for you.

Unless I'm not understanding what you are trying to do?
eddietr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming