Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xcrskim

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2007
Okay, so Out of ALL the times i dropped my iPhone (one time being dropping it from 3 stories high), yesterday my iPhone casually slid off my lap and landed touch screen face first onto a tiled floor. I even have a incase slider case on it. So i picked up my phone and its all white w/ grey lines. I tried doing a hard reset both while connected to iTunes and not connected to iTunes, no luck... it just gives me that white screen.

I'm pretty sure I have a cracked LCD, some type of internal damage i am guessing. what can i do ? I got the phone last summer, I jailbroke it 2 months ago, but yesterday when it broke, i connected it to iTunes and restored it to factory mode.

what are my options here ? how much $$ am I looking to spend?

Sigh.. thanks for all the help in advance.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
I don't know how much has changed in the past several years, but I had this happen to a Toshiba PocketPC PDA about 5 years ago. The best answer I got? It's totalled. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, and maybe someone has better advice, but usually screen replacement on these kinds of things is so expensive/difficult that it isn't worth it. Any chance that you're under Apple Care? Not sure that it would help, but it might.

lottiek

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
Same situation here! Try this

can i buy the parts and fix it myself ?

I bought a part off eBay -
Iphone 3G Replacement LCD Screen Display Repair + Tool
Item number: 270359167479

I just got it in today so I can't tell you much else... The instructions seem well detailed. I was told it might also be a flex cable that came disconnected.

Good luck
Lottie

UPDATE: I finished the replacement of my IPhone LCD Display and it works again! While I was a little tense, it really was not as hard as I expected! The tiny screws and getting the case apart were the most challenging. The whole thing cost less than $60.00.

kimdokkyu

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2008
I dropped my phone and it hit the floor face down. I got the white screen and some lines. I tried to restore and reset. It didn't help. Out of frustration, I took it to the apple store. And, I was pleasently surprised. They replaced my screen. It was cover under the 1 year warrenty. I was very happy with the brand new screen. I don't know what they will do if you are out of warrenty. I know that you can get a out of warrenty replacement for $199. I hope this helps.

meenub

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2009
dropped iphone

hi,

so when you dropped your phone there were not any cracks or anything were there? because the only tutorials i can find are for cracked screen and i had someone tell me if my screen was still fully intact then the problem would not be fixed by changing the screen. If you could let me know that would be awesome.

Thanks!

normans75

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2010
the same

i have the same problem after drop : white lines W/ grey lines... it happened yesterday! did you find a solution for yours?

Gadgetgeezer

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2009
Solution is normally an LCD change. Very unlikely that it is a connector that needs re-seating. If you drop the LCD, it can become cracked, the driver circuit on it can be damaged or the connections on the LCD become damaged.

Mike Macintosh

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2009
Washington State
I dropped my iPhone off my lap onto cement once, luckily it was in a hard case and no visible damage, it displayed no sim card at first but after a hard reset it corrected itself and still works, that was about a month ago now.

thespazz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
If you have apple care, TAKE IT IN and get it replaced. My roommate had this SAME thing happen, he walked in with it broken and walked out with a replaced iPhone.

streaky2212

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2010
White screen w/grey lines - the answer

I have recently had this problem, took it into the local Apple Store to me and one of their geniuses managed to fix it for me. It was the cable/connection to the screen that had become unseated so before you spend a lot of money either be brave and open up the phone yourself or book a genius bar appointment

dellconn

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
Replacing the LCD by yourself definitely will save your money a lot. I found there is $20 LCD display on ebay. And if your digitizer is also broken its only $10. Its quite easy, but make sure you carefully do it when you decided to self repair. Watch about connector number 1,2,3. Sometimes the worst scenario is you broke the fpc connector and end up in replacing the logic board. Which will cost you much more..

JaredB

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2010
New LCD? or other problem?

If the LCD is white with the occational gray lines and I can still answer phone calls and things just cannot see what I am doing, does that still mean a new LCD could fix the problem? Thanks

yhan

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2011
White Lines on iPhone 3g

Last night my iphone fell off my bed while charging it. Then the screen became white/grey with thin vertical lines. I tried rebooting it, when it's on the apple logo screen there were no vertical lines. The screen is in perfect condition, but after the apple logo, on the home screen the vertical lines appeared again with white/grey screen. Any help?

Midgar777

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2010
Last night my iphone fell off my bed while charging it. Then the screen became white/grey with thin vertical lines. I tried rebooting it, when it's on the apple logo screen there were no vertical lines. The screen is in perfect condition, but after the apple logo, on the home screen the vertical lines appeared again with white/grey screen. Any help?

I feel your pain dude ;_;

Didn't even drop my 3gs, display just went white mid twitter >_> I'm not insured via my carrier (o2), I don't have Applecare, and I've had it more than a year.

I'm guessing I'm just screwed :<

The worst part.... My contract runs out in like 2 weeks... I've just lost about £250-300 worth of money that I'd get from selling the handset.

Not Happy.

mshmshsalah

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2012
My Iphone 3g as same white lcd after replace it

My iPhone 3g LCD get white after turn on some time in boot process & some time it get white when the LCD get dimmed it some time get white &when i lock the screen it get white also & some time it works perfectly
then i replace the LCD with new one but it get white in the same situation

mattg1994

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2013
iphone 3gs

hello

the thing i am having trouble with is when the battery gets a certain leval like 60% itll black out. i can turn it off and turn it back on but itll black out again. i tried restoring it 3 times. each time will that make the blacking out happen later in the battery life. so idk if it's the screen or if it is the screen. sometimes when the screen blacks out itll have lines on it. but idk any ideas. im thinking of buying another battery but i am not sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.