Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:19 PM   #1
MacGeek7
macrumors 6502a

Edit ID3 tags without iTunes

Hey,
I have a rather large collection of U2 bootlegs on my external hard drive which I listen to with VLC so that I don't have to deal with it in iTunes. My question is this
1) Is there way to edit the ID3 tags without bringing them into iTunes? Is there a free app or simple command? (btw: all songs are in Apple Lossless, not mp3)
2) is there a way to add artwork in the same way?

I'd really prefer not to use iTunes at all...it would just make things rather messy.

Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:22 PM   #2
plinden
macrumors 68040

Not sure why you think it would be messy. You don't have to move the files to import them into iTunes. Just make sure you uncheck "Keep iTunes Music Folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to library" in iTunes Preferences.

When you're done, just delete the iTunes Folder.

And a note to anyone tempted to encourage the OP just to use iTunes ... I'm sure he has his reasons ...
plinden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 02:51 PM   #3
MacUser2525
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGeek7 View Post
Hey,
I have a rather large collection of U2 bootlegs on my external hard drive which I listen to with VLC so that I don't have to deal with it in iTunes. My question is this
1) Is there way to edit the ID3 tags without bringing them into iTunes? Is there a free app or simple command? (btw: all songs are in Apple Lossless, not mp3)
2) is there a way to add artwork in the same way?

I'd really prefer not to use iTunes at all...it would just make things rather messy.

Thanks!
If you don't mind a program with a million options then Jaikoz will do what you want, not entirely free but is fully functional til you need to restart once you reach the limit.

http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/
MacUser2525 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio