Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
Hey,
I have a rather large collection of U2 bootlegs on my external hard drive which I listen to with VLC so that I don't have to deal with it in iTunes. My question is this
1) Is there way to edit the ID3 tags without bringing them into iTunes? Is there a free app or simple command? (btw: all songs are in Apple Lossless, not mp3)
2) is there a way to add artwork in the same way?

I'd really prefer not to use iTunes at all...it would just make things rather messy.

Thanks!

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Not sure why you think it would be messy. You don't have to move the files to import them into iTunes. Just make sure you uncheck "Keep iTunes Music Folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to library" in iTunes Preferences.

When you're done, just delete the iTunes Folder.

And a note to anyone tempted to encourage the OP just to use iTunes ... I'm sure he has his reasons ...

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Hey,
I have a rather large collection of U2 bootlegs on my external hard drive which I listen to with VLC so that I don't have to deal with it in iTunes. My question is this
1) Is there way to edit the ID3 tags without bringing them into iTunes? Is there a free app or simple command? (btw: all songs are in Apple Lossless, not mp3)
2) is there a way to add artwork in the same way?

I'd really prefer not to use iTunes at all...it would just make things rather messy.

Thanks!

If you don't mind a program with a million options then Jaikoz will do what you want, not entirely free but is fully functional til you need to restart once you reach the limit.

http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.