Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lhammer610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2003
Lexington, VA
Based on the following article, I purchased a 1 TB LaCie ethernet disk to use as a NAS (network attached storage):
http://www.macworld.com/article/136632/2008/11/networkattachedstorage.html

I have a NAS set up and I can access it within my LAN via FTP and AFP.

Can I FTP to and from this drive when I am on the road via the Internet?

I have tried using my IP address of the drive and my FTP programs cannot find it when I am not connected to my LAN. I set the firewall of the DSL modem/router to allow FTP traffic (forwarding ports 20 & 21) and still no luck. Do I need to use the IP address of my DSL modem which is very different from the IP address of the network drive?

There are setting on the modem that I do not understand, such as public vs. private LAN. Right now, I have only a private LAN.

Suggestions?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
First, you need to know the IP address your modem is connecting to the Internet on. Then you need a router setup that will route messages sent to the modem from the outside on a particular port to a particular internal IP address inside, like your NAS. If you have a dynamically assigned IP address by your ISP, you would be best to setup a no-ip.biz account that will automatically check your IP address, so you can simply goto yoursubdomain.no-ip.biz to access your NAS.

TEG

lhammer610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2003
Lexington, VA
First, you need to know the IP address your modem is connecting to the Internet on. Then you need a router setup that will route messages sent to the modem from the outside on a particular port to a particular internal IP address inside, like your NAS.

TEG

So how do I find out what the IP address is of my modem and if it is dynamically assigned?

I think I assigned the FTP to go to ports 20 & 21 to the NAS.

chinarider

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
What kind of router so you have? Sign into it and it can tell you your IP address - Or go to http://www.dslreports.com/whois.

That's what you use for your FTP program. Forward ports 20 and 21 to the addy of your drive and you should be set. Also, make sure in the Lacie software that your box is using 20 and 21 - Whatever ports it is using should match what you forward on your router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.