Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GenNovE

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
I am just starting out so bare with my ignorance please.
I know my current issue is not hard to figure out to experienced devs. But
for a person like me that is just now learning it is very difficult.

Following the stanford dev program I am stuck on working with paths.

I need to create a NSString found the correct path method but I am stuck @ trying to expand it.

NSString *path =@"~";
Is it supposed to be like */users/frank =@"~";

I have tried diffrent methods to tell the system that ~=/users/frank.

What would be the proper way to write such path on xcode?

I have searched online and found a few helpful blogs that explain how
cooca work with strings etc.

ZunePod

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
I'm not 100% sure, I've just started also:

NSString *path /users/frank =@"~";

I think this is correct

GenNovE

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Fail.

The method you need is stringByExpandingTildeInPath.

See here

caveman_uk

I figured out the method by simply looking at the method. It is self explanatory
but the problem I am having is how to properly write the argument.
On my search for an answer I did stumble over the same link you provided
and followed the format but I keep receiving errors.

Can you show me how to properly code it?
That way I can have a better understanding... of course that's if you wish.
If you dont no worries.

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
On my search for an answer I did stumble over the same link you provided
and followed the format but I keep receiving errors.

If you post the code as you wrote it and the exact error you are getting, somebody will probably help.

GenNovE

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
I tried the following.

NSString */Users/Frank = [@"~/Desktop" stringByExpandingTildeInPath];

NSString *~ = [@"/Users/Frank" stringByExpandingTildeInPath];

NSString *path /Users/Frank = [@"~" stringByExpandingTildeInPath];

They all return error messages I am @ work right now so unfortunately I don't have the actual error codes.
Will post the m later.

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
OK, so stringByExpandingTildeInPath is an instance method (on NSString) that returns an NSString *.

So you want to assign that NSString* to a variable. So this is just like anything else in C or most other programming languages. On the left side of the equals sign you want a variable. And to that variable you are assigning the result from the right side of the equals.

So it's:

Code:
int a = 2 + 2;

So the left side is a variable 'a' which is declared as type 'int'. And the right side is an expression that evaluates to 4.

So it's just the same with this:

Code:
NSString* path = [@"~/somefile.txt" stringByExpandingTildeInPath];

Again, on the left side you have a variable called 'path' which is declared as a pointer to NSString. And then on the right you have an expression that evaluates to an NSString*.

In this case the expression is a call to an instance method of NSString.

Hope that helps. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm one of those who recommends that you learn some basic C first, then some Objective C, and only then try your hand at Cocoa. I think you'll find that approach much more efficient, less frustrating, and more rewarding.

Once you know things like variable assignment (C) and method calling (ObjC), then things like '- [someString stringByExpandingTildeInPath]' (Cocoa) become really easy to read in the docs and apply immediately.

Otherwise it's a bit like trying to read the newspaper without first understanding what letters and words are.

GenNovE

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
OK, so stringByExpandingTildeInPath is an instance method (on NSString) that returns an NSString *.

So you want to assign that NSString* to a variable. So this is just like anything else in C or most other programming languages. On the left side of the equals sign you want a variable. And to that variable you are assigning the result from the right side of the equals.

So it's:

Code:
int a = 2 + 2;

So the left side is a variable 'a' which is declared as type 'int'. And the right side is an expression that evaluates to 4.

So it's just the same with this:

Code:
NSString* path = [@"~/somefile.txt" stringByExpandingTildeInPath];

Again, on the left side you have a variable called 'path' which is declared as a pointer to NSString. And then on the right you have an expression that evaluates to an NSString*.

In this case the expression is a call to an instance method of NSString.

Hope that helps. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm one of those who recommends that you learn some basic C first, then some Objective C, and only then try your hand at Cocoa. I think you'll find that approach much more efficient, less frustrating, and more rewarding.

Once you know things like variable assignment (C) and method calling (ObjC), then things like '- [someString stringByExpandingTildeInPath]' (Cocoa) become really easy to read in the docs and apply immediately.

Otherwise it's a bit like trying to read the newspaper without first understanding what letters and words are.

So path points to NSString & NSString the points to the method?

Look @ the below illustration Am I correct in believing that is how the code is carried out?

Attachments

• PATH.JPG
    PATH.JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 66

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
So path points to NSString & NSString the points to the method?

Look @ the below illustration Am I correct in believing that is how the code is carried out?

No, sorry, I didn't state that very well earlier.

'path' is a pointer to an NSString. So you are declaring that this variable holds a pointer to an object of type NSString. Remember NSString* is just a variable type, just like 'int' is a variable type. If you say 'int a' you are saying that a is a variable which holds a value of type 'int'.

If you have experience with some other programming language, let us know. Then I can explain it in terms of that language.

There is also another NSString here which is "~/somefile.txt". You are sending a message to that string and in return you are getting a pointer (of type NSString*) to another new string which is "/Users/whatever/somefile.txt".

Then you are storing that new pointer to that new string in the variable called path.

This may be more clear if you do it in two lines:

Code:
NSString* path;
path = [@"~/somefile.txt" stringByExpandingTildeInPath];
// now path hold a pointer to a new string that was just created (and autoreleased, btw)

Again, if you tell me what programming languages you have experience with, then I can explain this in those terms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.