Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Well I don't need anything flashy (or using flash).

I just want a banner, JPEG or otherwise I can use on other forums I go to.

Requirements:
Has the Words 'MacRumors -- #3446' in it.
and some type of folding symbol.

Thanks very much.

--MrMacMan

P.S anything going on about that *other* banner thread?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
um, not that there's anything wrong with the banners, I'm just wondering what you plan on using the banner for?

D

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
What the hell?

How did that paragraph get erased...

Summary:
I go to other forums which allow banners/images in your signature... which I would put this.

Obviously here we can't do anything, but there are quite a few other forums I access... and I'm sure that other people go to other forums too. ;)

cjc343

macrumors 6502
Ok, from your instructions so far, I would make a white banner with black writing on it that says "Macrumors -- #3446" and then have the attached image to one side.

Is this what you want? I can make it better, but I need instructions. Background(s)? Can it be in .gif format? in other words, should I animate it? Text color(s)? Font(s)?

FAHlogoButton.jpg

[edit: Size? how many inches by how many inches? Centimeters? Pixels per square cm/in? The more info the better.]

cjc343

macrumors 6502
Ok, I have finished two possibilities using the instructions you have given me. I can still edit them easily, or create a completely new one if you wish.

Do you want different fonts? Different background? I changed the wording a little, do you like that better? Or do you want me to change it to what you requested? Do you need smaller file sizes?

any feedback is helpful.

If you decide to use one of these, please do not try to remove the "Created by......" note at the bottom of the banner.

Anyone who wants to can use these, but if you wish to have one edited, please contact me instead of doing it yourself.

Neither of the images is full quality as it is being hosted by macrumors, if you like one or both of them, I will upload the full file to another server. Please do not link to those files as I will remove them eventually, but rather find somewhere to host them yourself.

[edit: the one on the left is the animated one, click on it to see the whole thing... I can change the speed at which it switches frames if you wish.]

Attachments

• Foldgif.gif
    Foldgif.gif
    21.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Fold.gif
    Fold.gif
    20.8 KB · Views: 121

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Animated is fine.

Color would be nice.

If you could throw a helix or two somewhere in there, maybe on the animated one that switches bewteen the text and the first image...

Background... hmm, chose something that looks nice, I don't really care. White is a little clean, but not preferred.

Thank you very very much. :)

cjc343

macrumors 6502
"Color would be nice"

Ok, colored text then...

"maybe you could throw a Helix in there..."

Ok, I assume you mean on frame with only text....

Background: Maybe I could stick the heilix there.... or maybe I will use a pattern color scheme...

Well, I will probably have a few more in a little while....

cjc343

macrumors 6502
Here are a few more....

Again, tell me what you think and what I should change...

I am not sure that this is actually better than the white background but you might think otherwise...

again, these are not full quality....

The older versions are still available if anyone want them....

Attachments

• Fold2.gif
    Fold2.gif
    49.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Fold3.gif
    Fold3.gif
    45.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Foldgif2.gif
    Foldgif2.gif
    74 KB · Views: 107

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Yeah I can see a problem with the background, you can't see the text very well.

I think a decent solid colored background could work.

The Text Animated or Not could have that Double Helix Sign/Logo I've always liked that.

Thank you very much again. :)

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Mind if I toss an idea or two around?

Obviously, the tagline after "Folding@Home:" can be just about anything (I figure something to really grab their attention might be good).

Attachments

• macmanfolds1.jpg
    macmanfolds1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 111
  • macmanfolds2.jpg
    macmanfolds2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 106

cjc343

macrumors 6502
I like pyrotoaster's designs, and agree with Don't Panic in thinking that it would be nice to have multiple frames...

If you have any really good pictures of double Helix's I would be happy to incorperate them, otherwise, I will use an image off of google.

Off to work on a good solid background...

should I keep the text colors? Different color(s)? I can change the colors sequence to almost any array of colors...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I also like the idea of a dark background, using DNA. Thank you for taking on this task, having a banner is greatly needed. It should assist with recruiting. I wish that I could find the banner that was worked on previously. It is exactly what I would like to see. Hopefully someone else can describe the banner or has a copy. Your most recent the lettering is hard to see on the left, the righ side is nice. Do think that the use of the double helix would be nice.

cjc343

macrumors 6502
wdlove said:
I also like the idea of a dark background, using DNA. Thank you for taking on this task, having a banner is greatly needed. It should assist with recruiting. I wish that I could find the banner that was worked on previously. It is exactly what I would like to see. Hopefully someone else can describe the banner or has a copy. Your most recent the lettering is hard to see on the left, the righ side is nice. Do think that the use of the double helix would be nice.

I think I know which thread you are talking about, it will pop up if you search for "banner" the difference is those banner's were made using flash... which was not to be used in these banners....

I don't have any good pictures of helix's so I am having trouble with that...

I agree about the lettering on the left, and will (hopefully) do better in the next revision which will come when I have high resolution pictures of a few helix...

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
I think some of this banners are too crowded with colors. Lose the colors.
Keep the DNA backgrounds used before, but make them monochromatic or dichromatic (i.e a sepia or dark grey/metallic kind of look) and then superimpose the text in a contrasted way so that it's readable.

[edit] or you might want to give a look here for inspiration: http://www.dnalc.org/

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Life is in color so the banner should be in color. Using monochromatic or dichromatic (i.e a sepia or dark grey/metallic kind of look), to me is negative and depressing. Colors are positive an uplifting. We want to show others something to cause then to feel enthusiasm and and joy! Afterall this is something for a good cause.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
I'm thinking of trying a background, but lowering the opacity so it doesn't get in the way. That might help solve the color vs. readability problem.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Alright, here's the old banner with a semi-transparent double-helix in the background. (Petty note: this banner's height is eight pixels more than the last two. Alright, very petty.)

Attachments

• mrfolding3.jpg
    mrfolding3.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 105

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
cjc343 -- Can't read the text well on the one to the left.. the one to the right, well no color.

pyrotoaster -- Got the right idea having the helix in the background.

I like animated banners as long as they aren't flashing in my face.

'Folding Helps to Cure Dieases' or something is basically the text I want besides for MacRumors and stuff.

Hmmm, if we go with the animated ones we have enough room for the MR logo and the F@H logo no? :)

Thanks veryy much guys and gals!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.