Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 6, 2009, 01:27 PM   #1
p0mme
macrumors newbie

iTunes "Create AAC version" (since iTunes latest update.)

For years I've used iTunes' "Create AAC version" .mp3 to .m4a feature in the advanced menu, primarily to reduce the file size of my many thousand mp3 songs.

Since the latest update to iTunes, whenever I do this now, the AAC version file size created by iTunes get larger, and makes the .m4a significantly bigger than an .mp3.
I understood the very point of an AAC/.m4a was to be a smaller sized file of an equivilent .mp3 while keeping a similar quality.

I know large artwork affects the file size, but this still happens regardless of artwork.

Does anyone know what's changed re this feature in this latest update?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 01:35 PM   #2
drlunanerd
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0mme View Post

For years I've used iTunes' "Create AAC version" .mp3 to .m4a feature in the advanced menu, primarily to reduce the file size of my many thousand mp3 songs.

Since the latest update to iTunes, whenever I do this now, the AAC version file size created by iTunes get larger, and makes the .m4a significantly bigger than an .mp3.
I understood the very point of an AAC/.m4a was to be a smaller sized file of an equivilent .mp3 while keeping a similar quality.

I know large artwork affects the file size, but this still happens regardless of artwork.

Does anyone know what's changed re this feature in this latest update?
Default encoding is now iTunes Plus 256Kbps AAC - previously it was 128Kbps.

To change it, go to Preferences, General, Import Settings...
drlunanerd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 01:53 PM   #3
p0mme
macrumors newbie

If only all queries were that simple to fix, thank you!

Sorry if this seems a stupid question.... but does converting an mp3 to an AAC 256 instead of 128, mean it makes it a better quality?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 01:58 PM   #4
Eric5h5
macrumors 68020

Quote:
does converting an mp3 to an AAC 256 instead of 128, mean it makes it a better quality?
Unlikely...mp3 is already compressed, so re-compressing a compressed file is generally not a very good idea since you lose additional quality.

--Eric
Eric5h5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 02:25 PM   #5
sandman42
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If only all queries were that simple to fix, thank you!

Sorry if this seems a stupid question.... but does converting an mp3 to an AAC 256 instead of 128, mean it makes it a better quality?
Yes and no. Converting to 256kbps will be better than 128kbps, but not better than the original MP3. Every time you compress or re-encode you lose something. If you convert your (already compressed) MP3 file to 256kbps AAC you lose a little quality, and if you convert to 128kbps you lose more.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 02:32 PM   #6
p0mme
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, I hadn't realised about the quality being affected when you convert. Useful to know.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 03:46 PM   #7
billhansen
macrumors newbie

AAC format again

Am I correct that if I have my Preferences in iTunes set to "iTunes Plus" that is the highest quality audio file I can create when downloading?

If that's correct, is that quality(128/256 kbps) available for everything I download through the Apple store? Or do the Apple store "songs" all come through as the original MP3 size of 80/160 kbps?

Bill Hansen
billhansen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 04:05 PM   #8
jdechko
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by billhansen View Post
Am I correct that if I have my Preferences in iTunes set to "iTunes Plus" that is the highest quality audio file I can create when downloading?

If that's correct, is that quality(128/256 kbps) available for everything I download through the Apple store? Or do the Apple store "songs" all come through as the original MP3 size of 80/160 kbps?

Bill Hansen
The setting is only for songs that you import yourself from a CD.

The process of taking a CD you own and copying it to iTunes is called "ripping". When you buy music online, you are "downloading". (Based on your first statement, I wasn't sure if you knew the difference. If you did, I'm sorry).

All iTunes songs come in 256kbps AAC format.
jdechko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:58 AM   #9
billhansen
macrumors newbie

RE: " taking a CD you own and copying it to iTunes is called "ripping". When you buy music online, you are "downloading" - YEs, I did know that - but I wasn't being compulsive enough about my word useage. I'm glad the meaning came through.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:02 AM   #10
billhansen
macrumors newbie

AAC and iTunes

Oh oh - I hadn't meant to post that last reply yet. The important thing I wanted to say was "Thanks". You answered my question perfectly.

I had thought the default compression was MP3 (didn't know enough to actually check it - I do know now) - so I "made an AAC version" of several albums. There doesn't seem to be any way to check what compression files have in iTunes, and I don't have much music in iTunes anyway - so I'm going to start over and make sure everything's 128/256 kbps.

If anyone knows of a way to check the compression values in iTunes, please let me know.

Thanks again - Bill Hansen
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:19 AM   #11
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by billhansen View Post
If anyone knows of a way to check the compression values in iTunes, please let me know.
Right click on the song and select "get info".

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store