Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Apr 6, 2009, 04:37 PM   #1
Zephyras
macrumors newbie

Is it possible to use a 12" Powerbook as a sort of wireless server?

Hi,

Just a wondering really; I've got an old 12" Powerbook that isn't in use anymore, I've also got an external hard drive with all my movies, TV Shows etc.

We run a wireless network through a bog standard router. Is it possible to connect the external HD to the powerbook, then browse and view (streaming them) all the media on my MacBook Pro?

Thanks
Zephyras is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 04:44 PM   #2
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyras View Post
Hi,

Just a wondering really; I've got an old 12" Powerbook that isn't in use anymore, I've also got an external hard drive with all my movies, TV Shows etc.

We run a wireless network through a bog standard router. Is it possible to connect the external HD to the powerbook, then browse and view (streaming them) all the media on my MacBook Pro?

Thanks
You could. You would need to enable file sharing on the PowerBook. For file sharing settings, you will need add the external HDD to share over the network.
iLog.Genius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 04:44 PM   #3
darrenscerri
macrumors regular

Yeah why not? The PB can work as a client in the network which in turn will have the external HD throughout the network. Enjoy!
iPhone 5 Black (soon!)
darrenscerri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 02:34 PM   #4
Zephyras
macrumors newbie

Bloody Tiger...

So I've only just got round to trying this... and I'm having trouble setting it up.

The old Powerbook that I'm using is running Tiger so some of the file sharing options shown here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1549 don't exist ie add a folder to share.

Does anyone know how to get round this on Tiger?

I can see all the other folders on the powerbook, just not the external HD.

Thanks
Zephyras is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs