Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I just read this article while on cnn.com and I'm quite surprised MR isn't abuzz with this news! While they are mostly focusing attention to the Rock Band game and lucrative box set, it is my guess that the iTMS may begin carrying their catalogue with this major rerelease initiative.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I just read this article while on cnn.com and I'm quite surprised MR isn't abuzz with this news! While they are mostly focusing attention to the Rock Band game and lucrative box set, it is my guess that the iTMS may begin carrying their catalogue with this major rerelease initiative.

I'd be shocked if they don't release these albums on the iTMS, especially with the new variable pricing. Bet they're trying to sell only the albums, not the individual songs. Apple's probably afraid to make special concessions, but they'd be crazy not to...

Isn't Fall the typical iPod update timeframe???

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
They should've handled the reissues like Rhino did for The Monkees Deluxe Editions: include both the stereo and mono versions in the same package, along with any non-album singles, alternate versions, etc. At least Past Masters will be on one disc. :(

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Yay! Milking the Beatles Catalog once more. Seriously, just a few years ago they had the Beatles Capitol records reprinted and now they're remastering the remaining albums. I love the Beatles, but I see this as just being greedy.

In other news, I just bought the Star Wars Trilogy (again). But this time it's on Blu-Ray!!!

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
What's the big fuss about these new remasters? What's the big gain...?

Remastering of music means that they take each separate track (i.e. bass, guitar, vox) and they set the levels of them again, as well as the fade and any additional effects (reverb, echo, sustain, etc.).

So technically a remastering of these albums could result a version of "Eleanor Rigby" where there isn't quite as much harmonizing on the chorus part, and the violins could be increased or reduced in level which would maybe make the bass line stand out more.

Or you could you could take "Taxman" and instead of fading the vocals way left and the guitar way right, you could balance them both out so that they don't have such the separation that we are currently familiar with.

These things are not likely to happen, and any "remastering" is probably going to be incredibly subtle to avoid any backlash. But ultimately that is what "remastering" is all about. I'm sure others will be glad to expand on my description.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Wow, thanks GimmeSlack, that was very concise! Yeah I'm guessing any changes won't be huge, otherwise it'll upset the apple cart, I mean, this isn't going to be the Love albums style of remastering, I don't mean the remixed tracks, I mean the ones like Back in the USSR, Revolution, ones that really were remastered to buggery :p

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I hope that these do end up on the iTMS, because it will (hopefully) familiarize my generation with the Beatles. But any real Beatles fan, won't be buying them from the iTMS, because they'll be compressed. I will be buying the box set when it comes out, and I'm hoping that they announce a vinyl box set, because if they do, I'll be all over that.

Don

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.