Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Apr 8, 2009, 01:47 AM   #1
ausername
macrumors newbie

Um, I have a very strange question...

Okay, not sure if this can be done but, what I want to do is... say that I have 3 int variables named a, b, and c... Now say that I have an NSString containing some letters, and have a loop run through the string letter by letter, and each time the letter 'a' is found, it would increment the variable a by 1, and the same for b and c. But something like this would require an if tree like this:

NSString *myString = @"abjbcaubuaedhoca"; // some random letters
NSString *thisLetter;
int a = 0;
int b = 0;
int c = 0;

for (int i = 0; i < [myString length]; i++) {
thisLetter = [this_word substringWithRange:NSMakeRange(i, 1)]; // gets each letter.

if ([thisLetter isEqualToString:@"a"])
a++;
else if ([thisLetter isEqualToString:@"b"])
b++;
else if ([thisLetter isEqualToString:@"c"])
c++;

}

But what I want to do is remove the if tree... Something like this is what I want:

NSString *myString = @"abjbcaubuaedhoca"; // some random letters
NSString *thisLetter;
int a = 0;
int b = 0;
int c = 0;

thisLetter = [this_word substringWithRange:NSMakeRange(i, 1)]; // get each letter.

//something here... considering the contents of "thisLetter" is the name of the integer I want to increment, I was hoping that there would be some way to refer to a variable with a variable, as in "thisLetter" takes the place of the variable name, if that makes sense (i.e if the contents of "thisLetter" were "a" then, thisLetter++ would increment the value of "a" by 1).

}

If this can't be done, then I would also like to know if there is anything faster than an if tree... I was told the switch() can't be used on NSStrings.
ausername is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 04:02 AM   #2
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Look for the header files to find a function that will return a UTF8 string. That will be an array of characters, delimited by a 0 at the end. And then it's just plain C code.

Note that we are talking about Unicode, so the assumption that getting one element from a string is a "character" is generally flawed except for the simplest cases. There is about a million different characters that could be inside the string.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 04:04 AM   #3
Sander
macrumors 6502

This sounds a bit like a homework assignment, so you'll probably not get a full working answer.

I can offer you a hint though. You can keep a "histogram" of all the letters you are interested in, set the values to zero, then iterate over your string and ++ the value of the histogram bin corresponding to the particular letter.

Good luck!
Sander is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 04:30 AM   #4
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
started studying C++ this semester at uni.. i can read it and follow most of it but a few things are like WOW...

goodluck with it haha!
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 04:33 AM   #5
sammich
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
started studying C++ this semester at uni.. i can read it and follow most of it but a few things are like WOW...

goodluck with it haha!
I started studying C++ to semester too! Would be enjoying it if my assignment would compile
Old Apr 8, 2009, 04:34 AM   #6
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammich View Post
I started studying C++ to semester too! Would be enjoying it if my assignment would compile
oh isnt that just the worst!!!

anybody got any good C++ programs that work on macs?? they only give us crappy PC ones :|

we get our assignment 2morrow boo!! goodluck with it!
Old Apr 8, 2009, 04:40 AM   #7
sammich
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
oh isnt that just the worst!!!

anybody got any good C++ programs that work on macs?? they only give us crappy PC ones :|

we get our assignment 2morrow boo!! goodluck with it!
[hikack] (last one i promise )

I just use textmate (rather expensive, got mine from machiest bundle), but I think textwrangler will do the job for you, or you could always sink to eclipse? If you're just programming command line type programs, just open up a good text editor like above, and have a terminal window sitting nearby to compile.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 04:57 AM   #8
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammich View Post
[hikack] (last one i promise )

I just use textmate (rather expensive, got mine from machiest bundle), but I think textwrangler will do the job for you, or you could always sink to eclipse? If you're just programming command line type programs, just open up a good text editor like above, and have a terminal window sitting nearby to compile.
(last one from me too)

hhmm yea i currently use Smultron for it, didnt think of using the command line.. i might have to. tried installing QT Creator, but couldnt get the libraries working! ahwell. have fun!
Old Apr 8, 2009, 05:19 AM   #9
JoshDC
macrumors regular

Have a look at NSCountedSet, I think it pretty much does what you want. The only problem I can see is that it will keep a track of all the letter in the string, not just the one you're interested in:

Code:
	NSCountedSet *newSet = [NSCountedSet set];

thisLetter = [myString substringWithRange:NSMakeRange(i, 1)]; // gets each letter.

[newSet addObject:thisLetter];
	}

int countOfA = [newSet countForObject:@"a"]; // The number of times a occurs
JoshDC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:24 AM   #10
ausername
macrumors newbie

That's great! Thank you!
ausername is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming