Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ausername

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Okay, not sure if this can be done but, what I want to do is... say that I have 3 int variables named a, b, and c... Now say that I have an NSString containing some letters, and have a loop run through the string letter by letter, and each time the letter 'a' is found, it would increment the variable a by 1, and the same for b and c. But something like this would require an if tree like this:

NSString *myString = @"abjbcaubuaedhoca"; // some random letters
NSString *thisLetter;
int a = 0;
int b = 0;
int c = 0;

for (int i = 0; i < [myString length]; i++) {
thisLetter = [this_word substringWithRange:NSMakeRange(i, 1)]; // gets each letter.

if ([thisLetter isEqualToString:mad:"a"])
a++;
else if ([thisLetter isEqualToString:mad:"b"])
b++;
else if ([thisLetter isEqualToString:mad:"c"])
c++;

}

But what I want to do is remove the if tree... Something like this is what I want:

NSString *myString = @"abjbcaubuaedhoca"; // some random letters
NSString *thisLetter;
int a = 0;
int b = 0;
int c = 0;

thisLetter = [this_word substringWithRange:NSMakeRange(i, 1)]; // get each letter.

//something here... considering the contents of "thisLetter" is the name of the integer I want to increment, I was hoping that there would be some way to refer to a variable with a variable, as in "thisLetter" takes the place of the variable name, if that makes sense (i.e if the contents of "thisLetter" were "a" then, thisLetter++ would increment the value of "a" by 1).

}

If this can't be done, then I would also like to know if there is anything faster than an if tree... I was told the switch() can't be used on NSStrings.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Look for the header files to find a function that will return a UTF8 string. That will be an array of characters, delimited by a 0 at the end. And then it's just plain C code.

Note that we are talking about Unicode, so the assumption that getting one element from a string is a "character" is generally flawed except for the simplest cases. There is about a million different characters that could be inside the string.

Sander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2008
This sounds a bit like a homework assignment, so you'll probably not get a full working answer.

I can offer you a hint though. You can keep a "histogram" of all the letters you are interested in, set the values to zero, then iterate over your string and ++ the value of the histogram bin corresponding to the particular letter.

Good luck!

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
oh isnt that just the worst!!!

anybody got any good C++ programs that work on macs?? they only give us crappy PC ones :|

we get our assignment 2morrow boo!! goodluck with it!

[hikack] (last one i promise :D)

I just use textmate (rather expensive, got mine from machiest bundle), but I think textwrangler will do the job for you, or you could always sink to eclipse? If you're just programming command line type programs, just open up a good text editor like above, and have a terminal window sitting nearby to compile.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
[hikack] (last one i promise :D)

I just use textmate (rather expensive, got mine from machiest bundle), but I think textwrangler will do the job for you, or you could always sink to eclipse? If you're just programming command line type programs, just open up a good text editor like above, and have a terminal window sitting nearby to compile.

(last one from me too)

hhmm yea i currently use Smultron for it, didnt think of using the command line.. i might have to. tried installing QT Creator, but couldnt get the libraries working! ahwell. have fun!

JoshDC

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2009
Have a look at NSCountedSet, I think it pretty much does what you want. The only problem I can see is that it will keep a track of all the letter in the string, not just the one you're interested in:

Code:
	NSCountedSet *newSet = [NSCountedSet set];

thisLetter = [myString substringWithRange:NSMakeRange(i, 1)]; // gets each letter.

[newSet addObject:thisLetter];
	}

int countOfA = [newSet countForObject:@"a"]; // The number of times a occurs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.