Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Apr 8, 2009, 05:48 AM   #1
hogweed
macrumors newbie

Format MacBook Air and reinstall Leopard?

I've done a search, but couldn't find how to do this, sorry. I want to wipe a MacBook Air completely and install from scratch using the original restore disks. Trouble is... yes, there’s no optical drive. Can I just attach a USB DVD drive (from a PC, not a Mac), hold down C when booting, and proceed as with (say) a normal MacBook?

Thanks as always...
hogweed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 05:50 AM   #2
Bacong
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Bacong Send a message via MSN to Bacong
If you have a USB DVD drive that works, just connect that and insert the disc. The DVD will show up on your desktop, click it, and install Mac OS X. It'll ask you to reboot, and then follow the instructions based on what you want to do.
Bacong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 05:51 AM   #3
Matek
macrumors 6502a

Yup, the external optical drive should probably work. Other options are Remote Disc or installing OS X from an external hard drive, if you have one.
Matek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 06:41 AM   #4
hogweed
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacong View Post
If you have a USB DVD drive that works, just connect that and insert the disc. The DVD will show up on your desktop, click it, and install Mac OS X. It'll ask you to reboot, and then follow the instructions based on what you want to do.
Thanks all - I do the "Disk Utilities" - Erase option first. Can I still do that if I start from the desktop? I usually boot off the DVD...
hogweed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 08:06 AM   #5
The Mook
macrumors member

you kdont need to do the dick utilities erase option when you boot from dvd and are selecting options to install there is a button on the lower left i think its called options click that and choose the erase and install option.
The Mook is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help