Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snofseth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
It has been 7 months since apple updated the two top Ipod models when will they be updated again, I hope it is soon and maybe with a new design color screen or maybe a touch screen no need for buttons that would be cool if the hole ipod was a touch screen on the front. Anyone know when new uppermodels will come out? I want a new one

stoid

macrumors 601
Yeah, there's a level of expectation that Apple will be updating them end of the month coinciding with the one year Anniversary of the iTMS.

Good thing they are updating the computers now, otherwise we'd be having Apple-Bashfest 2004 if they updated the iPod again before the computers! ;)

advocate

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
What is it with people who want colour screens on everything? They use more battery power for the very intense backlight that has to be on all the time, they can't be read in bright sunlight, they look less sharp than a decent 4-bit greyscale screen, and they gain you nothing useful! I can't even buy a decently full-featured cell phone any more without it having a colour screen. Colour screen? On a phone?? And now, you want one on an iPod??? I just don't get it. What, you want the artist's name to appear in green while the song title appears in magenta?

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
It would be cool if iPods got an update, but it is by no means necessary. They are already the most popular, user friendly MP3 players on the market. I've owned two, and I just convinced my friend to buy one. They're just so cool. The only porblem I have with them is scratching and fingerprints.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The only way a color screen could be justified is if the iPod starts showing album art or pictures. Otherwise, it is a very overrated feature. Hopefully they update iTunes with/before the 'pods with support for lyrics or something.

Howabout Apple preloads that Doom port with all new iPods? :p

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
my 2 cents
whatever apple does with the iPod, make sure they can produce enough of them apple can't produce enough of the iPod mini to meet demand and if they come out with new iPods and can't produce enough of them then apple won't have a reliable stock of any type of iPods

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Maybe apple will reduce prices but I don't know where they are going to take updates. I think that if they took $50 off across all the lines including minis and got the minis shipped around the world they'd be in an about perfect spot ... also keep in mind that apple spent like 8 months since they updated powerbooks and ipods are not even computers, they don't need as frequent updats, apple just tries to improve them as much as they can whenver possible .... I hope apple has a special in the itunes music store for the anniversary day, like a $.50 / song one day special but i don't see that happening due to all the fees they pay.

snofseth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
The prices are fine but I just want I new model people are willing to pay the higher prices for Ipods, but the higher model should be the better and more desired model not the lower, that is all im asking for. it would be like and ibook vs. powerbook and the ibook turned out to be the better one but still cheaper it just doesn't make sence

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
I just want better battery life... it really sucks how if you charge an iPod, sleep it, don't touch it for a few days... and the battery is dead.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
snofseth said:
The prices are fine but I just want I new model people are willing to pay the higher prices for Ipods, but the higher model should be the better and more desired model not the lower, that is all im asking for. it would be like and ibook vs. powerbook and the ibook turned out to be the better one but still cheaper it just doesn't make sence

ahem... can I interject? what about.... dun dun duh dun... battery life? it's my only complaint from day one with the ipod. 7 hours of *real* use is not acceptable.

snofseth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Yes longer batter life would be awesome, but I want a visibly feature wiht pazzazz or something that stands out and is new. origional and very disereable

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
How long can most people leave their iPod without charging it until it goes dead (without using it)? It just seems too fast to me.

Xacttech

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2004
Color screen would be awesome.

Album artwork, a better browser (not entirely text base), stay on top of the market.

Also for contacts, weather, calendar, driving directions etc. That you download to your ipod (pod2go) it would be a great asset for me. Cause I have my ipod connected to my computer at all times, then I pop it off when I goto a job interview, movies etc. And having it capable of displaying the map would awesome. Also icons for a Five day forecast.

It is definitely not impractical...

Also it would definitely NOT decrease the battery life! The backlight on the current ipod is more than adequate for a color display. And the color itself wouldn't require any more battery power. In fact some of the competition with color displays have way way better battery times.

Of course more than a color display I would like to see the ipod last through a weekend outting without needing a charge.

Next I would like a video output so I can see my playlists and browse through my tracks on my Car's in dash LCD, it's rediculous trying to look at that tiny display in the car to get to the artist I want (40gig ipod) If it was on the screen of my car even mirroring the same browser built into the ipod it would be much easier.

We all know the ipod will eventually have a color screen... it's inevitable, why not get it in and out of the way so they can start working out all the kinks.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
advocate said:
What is it with people who want colour screens on everything? They use more battery power for the very intense backlight that has to be on all the time, they can't be read in bright sunlight, they look less sharp than a decent 4-bit greyscale screen, and they gain you nothing useful! I can't even buy a decently full-featured cell phone any more without it having a colour screen. Colour screen? On a phone?? And now, you want one on an iPod??? I just don't get it. What, you want the artist's name to appear in green while the song title appears in magenta?

I want a color screen. What is it with everyone and their practibility. Why can't I just want it cause it is cool?

I have a friend has a good personality....

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I agree that longer battery life and a color screen would be desirable, as long as the two are not mutually exclusive! I haven't had my 20 gig too long (couple of months), but I love it. No real complaints.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
ZildjianKX said:
I just want better battery life... it really sucks how if you charge an iPod, sleep it, don't touch it for a few days... and the battery is dead.

Don't touch it for a few days? Dude, there are 12 step programs for that problem.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
rdowns said:
Don't touch it for a few days? Dude, there are 12 step programs for that problem.

Well, I'm a busy student and usually listen to it on the bus. Then I leave it for the weekend and by Monday most of the battery is dead.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
Xacttech said:
It is definitely not impractical...

Also it would definitely NOT decrease the battery life! The backlight on the current ipod is more than adequate for a color display. And the color itself wouldn't require any more battery power. In fact some of the competition with color displays have way way better battery times.

::cough::

Um, dude. Try using an iPod with the backlight you speak of always on. The battery life will go from 8 hours to somewhere near 2 1/2. The point the earlier post was trying to make is that this backlight must be on ALL THE TIME for a color screen. That's just how color screens work.

And also... the competition with better battery life? Well.. the only competition with better battery life AND color screens are the Archos Jukeboxes. And man, those things are huge.. A lot of that is the battery. Personally, I think the color screen would wipe out the iPod. The point of the iPod UI is that it is simple, easy, and impossible to get confused with.

Color and a text + graphics interface? You gotta be kidding me. Apple will never do that.

</rant>

Xacttech

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2004
zap23 said:
::cough::

Um, dude. Try using an iPod with the backlight you speak of always on. The battery life will go from 8 hours to somewhere near 2 1/2. The point the earlier post was trying to make is that this backlight must be on ALL THE TIME for a color screen. That's just how color screens work.
</rant>

Um, dude, you're extremely misinformed... the backlight doesn't have to stay on all the time... at all...

That's actually quite a funny statement... considering color cell phones screens have the backlight off unless a button is pushed (just like the optional setting on the ipod)

I mean I'm not trying to get in a pissing war or anything, and I understand alot of peoples views, they want a device that is functional, gets the job done, and does it extremely well.

I share that vision too... Hummer (H1) vs Hummer (H2) I'll take the original over the latter any day of the week.

And I do believe apple will go to a GUI interface... If they don't by the time the competition catches up in size (we've seen a 4gig HD the size of a quarter) Then people will choose "cool" over practical.

Just my opinions :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.