Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 8, 2009, 06:04 PM   #1
bki122689
macrumors 6502

What's the best free OCR software for Mac?

Old Apr 8, 2009, 06:28 PM   #2
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bki122689 View Post
If you purchased a new scanner, then it may have been bundled with OCR software. Otherwise, OCR software ain't cheap and it certainly ain't free. You have two options: Readiris™ 11 Pro and Nuance's OmniPage Pro X for Macintosh.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 02:44 AM   #3
Dry Rot
macrumors member

Any thing new on this now?

My Omni Page came with a Canon printer back in 2005 and died when I installed Snow Leopard.
Dry Rot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:35 AM   #4
jmm1155
macrumors newbie

There is a 3rd option that is probably the best: ABBYY's Finereader Express for Mac. It's $100 vs. Omnipage's $500. And it does not have a word limit, like Iris (50 pages). I'm presently using Finereader for Mac to digitize my books and have had no difficulties.

Note that you won't find free trials of any of these programs, but you probably won't have any trouble with them either. If you want to create fully searchable pdfs or fully editable text documents, all will do an excellent job.

There's no free option I'm aware of, though for limited use there are online OCR options, such as OCR Terminal.
jmm1155 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 01:47 PM   #5
PeggyD
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm1155 View Post
There is a 3rd option that is probably the best: ABBYY's Finereader Express for Mac. It's $100 vs. Omnipage's $500. And it does not have a word limit, like Iris (50 pages). I'm presently using Finereader for Mac to digitize my books and have had no difficulties.

Note that you won't find free trials of any of these programs, but you probably won't have any trouble with them either. If you want to create fully searchable pdfs or fully editable text documents, all will do an excellent job.

There's no free option I'm aware of, though for limited use there are online OCR options, such as OCR Terminal.
Even less expensive is $50 PDF Pen 4.
PeggyD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 02:39 PM   #6
bki122689
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyD View Post
thanks worked great for me
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:21 AM   #7
puble
macrumors newbie

There are several affordable ocr applications but with such limited functionality.
I've tried almost all of them. But the only full function ocr software that provides high-quality conversion in different languages, multiple formats, etc. .... is FineReader. And it's already in Mac App Store
puble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:49 AM   #8
TreoRenegade
macrumors regular

FYI: I contacted the Finereader dev last week, to see if the App Store version is AppleScript-friendly, explaining my interest in Folder Actions. Just got the response this morning-- no. They specifically said "no batch processing, only in PC version."

PDFPen, on the other hand, does permit such Folder Action batch processing. You can find scripts via google.
TreoRenegade is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:49 PM   #9
HillbillyScot
macrumors newbie

Free but not all powerful...

Simple and easy to use OCR app that I find very useful for my needs, but does have limitations...Check out PDF OCR X by Web Lite.

The community version is free but limited...
HillbillyScot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 08:31 AM   #10
jsamu50901
macrumors newbie

OmniPage for Mac will not work with Lion

I've been an OmniPage Pro X user for years, but it is PC software and will not work with the new Lion. And there has been no update to OmniPage for years and years. It is now toast, if you use Lion.

I bought ABBYY Fine Reader Express for Mac from the App Store, but it too does not work with the new Lion. However, I contacted ABBYY and they are working on the update to make FREM compatible with Lion.
jsamu50901 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:12 AM   #11
pomeroy111
macrumors newbie

Google Docs now has OCR capabilities when you upload a PDF file. When you go to upload a file, it'll give you the option to convert it to text.
pomeroy111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:11 AM   #12
neo64
macrumors newbie

Great for small jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyScot View Post
Simple and easy to use OCR app that I find very useful for my needs, but does have limitations...Check out PDF OCR X by Web Lite.

The community version is free but limited...
This is a very simple and straightforward little app. If you're a home user that needs to convert a few small documents once in a while, then I say don't waste your money on something with more features. If you scan hard copy docs one page at a time to a PDF, it takes only a few seconds each to convert and drag each page of text into a continuous Pages or Word doc. The scanning takes far longer than the conversion and copying.

Obviously, if you are looking to scan books or multiple page docs on a regular basis, use a full featured app - but none of these are free.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:16 AM   #13
MacAssemble
macrumors newbie

Another (better) option exists

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
If you purchased a new scanner, then it may have been bundled with OCR software. Otherwise, OCR software ain't cheap and it certainly ain't free. You have two options: Readiris™ 11 Pro and Nuance's OmniPage Pro X for Macintosh.
Adobe Acrobat Pro (currently called "Acrobat X Pro") has built-in OCR, and it works very well. I used it recently and was quite pleased. I actually have Acrobat Pro as part of my Creative Suite (CS.) Other than OCR, you would gain full control over the PDF file (if that's what you wanted to create.) It really is a powerful program and worth a look. The full standalone version has a list price of $450, but can be found for much less.

I tried out OCRKit this morning, and it worked perfectly, certainly if OCR is the ONLY feature you need than that program seems to fit the bill perfectly although it is not free (about $50.)
MacAssemble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:29 AM   #14
jlc1978
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyD View Post
Vuescan. It not only works with a bunch of scanners / slide scanners etc but has built in OCR (text only). It's cheap (40 or 80 $ depending on version) and the developer is great. He regularly updates it to address issues / new scanners and responds via email. I've used it for a numb roy years and it is great.

http://www.hamrick.com/
jlc1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 07:55 PM   #15
miz-mdk
macrumors newbie

ABBYY Finereader Express for Mac free trial

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm1155 View Post

ABBYY Finereader Express for Mac does now have a free trial. It is only 15 days and will only convert the first page if you process multiple pages, but it gives you a good sense of how it works. It works very well for creating searchable pdf's from tiffs, less so from jpegs. I was working with images from an old book. Text recognition was excellent, numbers spotty because a lot of the thin lines were lost. After some research and experimentation I found that if I downloaded jpegs but saved them as tiffs it was the best. Text recognition was good but formatting was off for conversion from pdf to word. Does what it does very well, but limited - can't work with the documents, just create them. But it's easy to open them in preview, and you can do a fair amount with pdf's in preview in OS Lion.
miz-mdk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:33 PM   #16
SimonMTL
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomeroy111 View Post
Google Docs now has OCR capabilities when you upload a PDF file. When you go to upload a file, it'll give you the option to convert it to text.
I second that! It's free, it's easy, and Google OCR is pretty darn good! I had to translate an instruction manual in German, and G.Docs has allowed me to upload the PDF, translate to text, then translation into English! Very sweet, and almost instantaneous.

Very good alternative that not many people are aware of.
SimonMTL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 09:55 AM   #17
rikvers
macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo64 View Post
This is a very simple and straightforward little app. If you're a home user that needs to convert a few small documents once in a while, then I say don't waste your money on something with more features. If you scan hard copy docs one page at a time to a PDF, it takes only a few seconds each to convert and drag each page of text into a continuous Pages or Word doc. The scanning takes far longer than the conversion and copying.

Obviously, if you are looking to scan books or multiple page docs on a regular basis, use a full featured app - but none of these are free.
rikvers is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store