Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imisplacedmine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
Hey guys, my university recently switched their wifi networks from a VPN login to a web-based login. When you connect to the network and open a browser you are supposed to be redirected to a login page where you input your school ID/Password. This works great on my iPhone, but it doesn't even show up on my macbook. The browser just give me the old "address not found" "server not found business."

This is on a new aluminum macbook (2Ghz) with the latest OSX and updates. I have tried resetting my airport settings all to default and even deleting the connection and creating a new one. I'm at a loss with this one, so help would be great.

imisplacedmine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
Exactly. OP, why do you think we could answer this question better than your network administrator?

They looked at my macbook like it was an alien creation. No one in the IT department/help desk knew what to do with my Mac. That's why I'm asking y'all.

qacjared

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
I'm assuming that your network is using a system called Bluesocket here. My fix for this was to turn my airport card off for like 10 secs and then turning it back on. It does wonders.

Also, google Nimblesocket.

Source: My College uses Bluesocket and one of our building has this exact problem with my Macbook but my Touch works fine with the bluesocket app.

pismobrat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2007
Ok you nubs try helping a guy or zip the lip

1) Are you able to successfully connect to any other wireless networks?
2) Do you have any manual entered IP or DNS information
3) What is your patch level of your OS? All 10.5.x.x updates installed?

Let me know and we can take the next step

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
I think you have to type in the login address into the URL on your macbook book. For some reason it is not redirecting you to your schools bluesocket page.

Since your getting in from your iPhone, just take that login URL and use that on your Macbook, then log in.

theDUB

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2008
SLT, CA
They looked at my macbook like it was an alien creation. No one in the IT department/help desk knew what to do with my Mac. That's why I'm asking y'all.

Oh, well, that seems reasonable. That IT department must suck. Actually, I find most of them suck.....

Ok you nubs try helping a guy or zip the lip...

What are nubs? Are you trying to say noobs, you n00b. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.