Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I've been putting this off for a while for some reason, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I like to boot up my 233 MHz iMac G3 and write some music in a program I have installed on it, which I usually do every few weeks.

The last time I tried, which was a few weeks ago, it wouldn't do it. No power light on the front, no fan spinning up, nothing. But, I did notice a faint sound, sort of like a hissing noise coming from inside the computer.

To me, this sounds like a blown capacitor, though I didn't know these machines were susceptable to that. But I'm no expert by far, and I would like to know what could be wrong with it, and what I could do, if anything to fix it.

Thank you!

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Could very well be the power supply. Time to retire the old thing or just pick up a faster iMac G3 for around $25 on craigslist :p.

Eh, maybe if I have some spare cash sitting around. I was planning to get it running OS 9 at some point, but I guess those plans are on hold for now.

donaldl43

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2009
I just upgraded a G3 Tray Loader to OS X 10.3.9. A week ago I new very little about Macs and now I know a lot more about the G3. The thread that discusses it is here. :D

Forgot to add that I bought it for $5 on Ebay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.