Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:17 AM   #1
jasony01
macrumors newbie

Funny G5 Quad story

I'm a former student at a well known design school in Pasadena and while we're known for some really bright talent...but some of the students just make me go wow...wow...really did that just come out of your mouth?

Theres were these 4 students standing over a G5 quad and after listening to their conversation I derived that their trying to fry the G5 to get a new one from apple since his applecare is expiring in 2 weeks. Below is just some of the things they did;

1. pull out the videocard while the mcachine is still on and stick a screw driver in the pci slot.***spark everything shuts down but it powers right back up
2. drag a screw driver over the bottom of the video card
***spark everything shuts down and she starts right back up.
3. drag screwdriver across logic board
***same thing spark everything shuts down and it doesn't start right back up but in a minuet or so it starts up again.
4. took metal scrap strips and were dragging it across the logic board
***just gave off really pretty spark show and nothing else
5. I left before this one but they were discussing putting aluminum foil over the part of the video card that goes into the PCI slot
***I'm not a electrical engineer but that sounds really dangerous.

My question is...after watching ******** 1,2,3 and 4 spark and short the computer out and watching it start right back up how the hell do you fry a G5? From my understanding of computers that should've toasted most computers. Also how can apple tell? God the idiots will weed themselves out haha

****Good to be back on this board, last time I was on was in 2003 when I got my first mac, couldn't remember my login or anything.
jasony01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:25 AM   #2
Tesselator
macrumors 601

Oh, it's already fried! I guarantee it!

Hopefully karma will have it's way tho and the machine will seem fine till one day AFTER his applecare expires!

Poetic justice!
Tesselator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:26 AM   #3
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
WOW!!!!!!!!

thats in INCREDIBLE STORY!!!!!!

the way to fry it, pour water over it
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:28 AM   #4
jasony01
macrumors newbie

see I watched it boot up every single time from 1-3 I didn't witness number 5 but...
Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:32 AM   #5
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasony01 View Post
see I watched it boot up every single time from 1-3 I didn't witness number 5 but...
hopefully it zapps the idiots that are trying to zap it!! id take that G5 anyday!
Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:42 AM   #6
Cameraman12
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasony01 View Post
I'm a former student at a well known design school in Pasadena and while we're known for some really bright talent...but some of the students just make me go wow...wow...really did that just come out of your mouth?

Theres were these 4 students standing over a G5 quad and after listening to their conversation I derived that their trying to fry the G5 to get a new one from apple since his applecare is expiring in 2 weeks. Below is just some of the things they did;

1. pull out the videocard while the mcachine is still on and stick a screw driver in the pci slot.***spark everything shuts down but it powers right back up
2. drag a screw driver over the bottom of the video card
***spark everything shuts down and she starts right back up.
3. drag screwdriver across logic board
***same thing spark everything shuts down and it doesn't start right back up but in a minuet or so it starts up again.
4. took metal scrap strips and were dragging it across the logic board
***just gave off really pretty spark show and nothing else
5. I left before this one but they were discussing putting aluminum foil over the part of the video card that goes into the PCI slot
***I'm not a electrical engineer but that sounds really dangerous.

My question is...after watching ******** 1,2,3 and 4 spark and short the computer out and watching it start right back up how the hell do you fry a G5? From my understanding of computers that should've toasted most computers. Also how can apple tell? God the idiots will weed themselves out haha

****Good to be back on this board, last time I was on was in 2003 when I got my first mac, couldn't remember my login or anything.
I hope its not Art Center.
Cameraman12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:46 AM   #7
jons
macrumors 6502

The problems is, pretty much anything that would actually do permanent damage would void the warranty anyway... Seriously, how do some people even make it to college age?
jons is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:48 AM   #8
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jons View Post
The problems is, pretty much anything that would actually do permanent damage would void the warranty anyway... Seriously, how do some people even make it to college age?
luck
Old Apr 9, 2009, 01:10 AM   #9
jasony01
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraman12 View Post
I hope its not Art Center.
hahaha yep I dont know which department they were in but they seemed like trans or prod kids
Old Apr 9, 2009, 01:14 AM   #10
jjahshik32
macrumors 603

Ah man I wished that the G5 would have fried those guys and sent them to the hospital for a good ol kick in the A$$ lesson.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 01:31 AM   #11
Gonzo3333
macrumors 6502a

Karma's a female dog

If they are successful I think everybody's karma that participated in that will be collectively bankrupt. That is some downright poor judgement. I hope all of their transmissions go bad in their cars 10 miles after the warranty expires.
Gonzo3333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 08:25 AM   #12
noushy
macrumors regular

Not funny at all

People like these are why legitimate people cannot get their machines serviced or serviced in the right way. My G5 Quad (which I paid close to 6k for) was spontaneously freezing for the past 8 months. It took 3 trips in to service, 2 hours with applecare support and 30 minutes with Apple Customer Relations to get a solution. I was not looking for a new machine, just a working one. I paid a high price for the machine, purchased Applecare, and expected them to take care of it. I cannot understand how anyone does not see this action as pure fraud. Hopefully Apple will see the evidence of self inflicted damage, and void their warranty.

Folks, be honest, take care of your computer, and if it fails, Apple will ultimately take care of you. I own at least 20k worth of Apple equipment at any time, and feel that they are extremely fair. You owe them the same.

Peace,
Noushy
noushy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 10:41 AM   #13
soldierblue
macrumors 6502

Tell them to look at it funny. It'll spring a coolant leak.
iPhone 5s | iPad Mini | Nexus 7
soldierblue is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs