Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Apr 19, 2004, 07:12 PM   #1
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus

Coke to launch mid-calorie cola this summer

I'm wondering how long this one will stick around. It seems that all of the various designs of sodas always end up having a limited life. I don't really drink them though, so this doesn't really entice me too much.

story here
eyelikeart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 08:21 PM   #2
wdlove
macrumors 604

That is my thought exactly eyelikeart. I still remember the "New Coke" introduced over 10 years ago. Don't think it lasted more than six months. It has a nasty taste. Customers clamored so much that they quickly brought back the current model "Classic Coke." My guess is that if the taste is decent maybe it will last as long as the "Carb" fad.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 08:32 PM   #3
Sparky's
macrumors 6502a

I'm kinda hoping for the "Real Classic" Coke that was made at the turn of the century, you know the one with all the goodies in it

24"iMac, Adobe CS4, 1T LaCie backup drive
Sparky's is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 09:08 PM   #4
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky's
I'm kinda hoping for the "Real Classic" Coke that was made at the turn of the century, you know the one with all the goodies in it
There was never enough drugs for a real high.

In such a dosage, it was what it says it was -- a Medicine.

Anyway. this seems lame... 'With neither the crappy flavor of diet nor the sugar or Coke Classic -- Coke C2, somewhere... well in the middle'

thats how they are going to brand it. and its going to bite.
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 11:54 AM   #5
poopyhead
macrumors 6502a

I'll buy it
if it tastes like coke and has half the calories it has to be good
I'm guessing lots'o people like me, who when they drink soft drinks drink a 12 pack, will buy it
I mean 600 calories instead of 1200 is a big difference (for a 12 pack)
plus with the aging population and all whose metabolisms are slowing down

my guess is they'll use splenda and sugar
poopyhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 01:06 PM   #6
rueyeet
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMacman
'With neither the crappy flavor of diet nor the sugar or Coke Classic -- Coke C2, somewhere... well in the middle'
Granted it's kind of a difficult thing to market successfully, but I for one have gotten tired of how overly sugary regular Coke is here in the US. My roommate's now-husband shipped us some Coke from Japan when he was stationed there, and it was a lot less sugary than the US version. Drinking soda here is like swallowing sugar packets. *yuk*

Personally, if they actually put less sugar--oops, I mean high-fructose corn syrup--in the Coke C2, and no artificial crap to make it still taste like liquid candy, I'll be a happy camper and never buy Classic again if I have the option.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GCS/O d+(---) s+:+>+: !a C+$ U P L+(-) E--
W++ N- o? K- w(---) O? M+ V PS++ PE Y+ PGP-
t(--) 5++ X- R+ tv- b+ DI++ D G e++ h-- r x+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
rueyeet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 01:19 PM   #7
wdlove
macrumors 604

Quote:
I do remember getting Coke at a restaurant fountain. It had a very distinct taste, much better than the canned. I think that fresh is always better. The Cherry Coke was also much better.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 02:14 PM   #8
Nny
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelikeart
I'm wondering how long this one will stick around. It seems that all of the various designs of sodas always end up having a limited life. I don't really drink them though, so this doesn't really entice me too much.

story here
I find Diet Coke already sickly-sweet compared to Diet Pepsi. No need for more calories to make it sweeter. If you are going low carb switch to diet soda. Most people I know switch to Diet Coke, but eventually switch to Diet Pepsi once they realize Diet Coke is tasting sweeter by age. Diet Pepsi just tastes lighter and cleaner.

But to each their own... I am sure one friend who drinks nothing but Minute Maid Light Lemondade will try it.

Interesting that the article said Pepsi is looking into doing their own.... so we can have Diet Pepsi, Pepsi One, Pepsi Light, and Pepsi.... lots of choices.

Whatever happened to drinking water. It has ZERO CARBS!
Nny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 02:17 PM   #9
musicpyrite
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You mean Crack?

Anyways, I don't drink soft drinks, but my father does (alot, about 6 12 oz. a day) and I'm sure he'll be intrested. I hope it will come in Diet Coke, I thought thats what the aspritame was for?
Old Apr 20, 2004, 04:24 PM   #10
Nny
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicpyrite
You mean Crack?
No, coke... as in cocaine. Hence the name.

I don't think crack cocaine was around "back in the day."

Last edited by Nny; Apr 21, 2004 at 01:26 PM.
Nny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 05:28 PM   #11
musicpyrite
macrumors 68000

[QUOTE=Nny][QUOTE=musicpyrite]You mean Crack?
Quote:

No, coke... as in cocaine. Hence the name.

I don't think crack cocaine was around "back in the day."

Isn't crack the same thing as cocaine and cack cocaine? I wouldn't know, I don't do drugs.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 05:38 PM   #12
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicpyrite
Isn't crack the same thing as cocaine and cack cocaine? I wouldn't know, I don't do drugs.
ah, no, cocaine is a powder derived from a plant, crack is basically what happens when you cook it ("crack" refers to the sound that the rock makes as it dries).

*the more you know*

hehe

actually this sounds kind of interesting... like, i don't drink diet soda, because it tastes like **** and i don't need to be on diet, i'm thin enough. but if there was something that was decent tasting with less of the bad things (sodium, sugar), it would be a good market niche i think. Time will tell.

paul
rainman::|:| is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 05:47 PM   #13
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nny
Whatever happened to drinking water. It has ZERO CARBS!
haha...exactly...

I gave up regular soft drinks years ago, and pretty much gave up diet soft drinks nearly 8 months ago. I've had a diet coke about 3 or 4 times since, but never have I even finished one.
eyelikeart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 06:25 PM   #14
MacFan25
macrumors 68000

These companies really are jumping on this "low carb" bandwagon. Seems that anymore it is just a marketing ploy. But I guess if the customers are happy and healther (though I'm not sure I think low carb is always the healthiest way to dieting), and companies are making money, then it's all right.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 12:04 PM   #15
cyks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFan25
These companies really are jumping on this "low carb" bandwagon. Seems that anymore it is just a marketing ploy. But I guess if the customers are happy and healther (though I'm not sure I think low carb is always the healthiest way to dieting), and companies are making money, then it's all right.
Who says they're healthier.... generally when a fad diet hits these proportions- people aren't dieting. They just hear that "Carbs are now bad- they make you fat...avoid them" so they buy low-carb equivilants and each just as much- if not more then if they weren't watching themselves. Just because it's "low-carb" doesn't make bacon good for you... but sadly, the majority of the public seems to believe otherwise.
For those that are watching their weight, staying healthy, and diet/excercise- this won't really make too much a difference. For Joe Average though- for some reason "low-carb Coke" will be healthier then Diet Coke.

...A few years ago, I was a bartender- and it seemed more people were drinking just because "Mich Ultra" wasn't bad for them.... so the guys that was dieting/excercising all day- would come in and down 5-6 "low-carb beers"... oh well... I had a chuckle on thier behalf.
cyks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 12:48 AM   #16
Awimoway
macrumors 65816

I'll try it. I hate the taste of diet soda and I avoid regular soda because it has so much sugar in it. It if tastes decent, I'm sold.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 08:56 PM   #17
njmac
macrumors 68000

I hope that is less sweet, and not just half sugar and half artificial sweetener (which has the potential to taste even sweeter, yuk) I love it when I can find bottled ice tea unsweetened but even that is rare, its either diet or regular. too bad.
njmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 09:34 PM   #18
vwcruisn
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelikeart

story here
wasnt this the idea of Pepsi One? Is it still around? I think it had maybe 10 calories if my memory serves me correctly.

edit: doh.. pepsi one has 1 calorie... my bad (hmm maybe thats why its called pepsi ONE). pepsione.com

Last edited by vwcruisn; Apr 30, 2004 at 09:44 PM.
vwcruisn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 11:59 AM   #19
applebum
macrumors 6502

I think this is a great idea. I have often said over the last several years that if I had the means, I would make products with much less sugar. I often complained to my wife how therer should be Lite Coke and Lite Pepsi with about half the sugar and no artificial sweetener. In fact, I hope it goes over well -then maybe other products will follow suit. I am one of those that doesn't want to go low carb, but often low carb products are much healthier but often taste like crap. Take Slim Fast. I often drink it for a snack, as it is much healthier than candy bars or soda. It has 5 grams of fiber and 12 grams of protein. But it also has 30 grams of sugar. I think they could cut the sugar in half and it would still taste good and be an even healthier snack. Unfortunately, the low carb version tastes terrible as there is no sugar or 1 gram and the rest is Splenda - yuck. We seem to have 2 extremes with sugar in this country...either way too much or none at all. I would love to see something in between. I will try this Coke and hope it works.
Old May 3, 2004, 12:28 PM   #20
guywithsocks
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFan25
We can all thank Dr. Atkins, who happens to be dead. Steak 'n eggs anyone?
guywithsocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 12:31 PM   #21
IrishGold
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywithsocks
We can all thank Dr. Atkins, who happens to be dead. Steak 'n eggs anyone?
Don't doubt the atkins diet. My dad is in perfect health right now because of it.
IrishGold is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events