Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

efedor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I have a 64gb ssd drive that I use to boot up my macbook pro 15(classic) and a 320 gb on my optibay. I would like to know if there is such a program like smc fan control but for internal hard drives in order to turn off or "PARK" the 320gb hd, This would help increase my battery live as well as making it more quiet. Thanks

efedor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Yes I can unmount it but how do I access it when I need it. I know that on an external drive I can just unmount it it and turn it off(switch) and when I need it I just flip the switch on the external and Im good but I'm confused on how I can do that with the internal drive.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
There should be a way to do it in terminal using the diskutil command.

Does it still show up in Disk Utility after it has been unmounted? If so, that might be able to mount it as well.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I have a 64gb ssd drive that I use to boot up my macbook pro 15(classic) and a 320 gb on my optibay. I would like to know if there is such a program like smc fan control but for internal hard drives in order to turn off or "PARK" the 320gb hd, This would help increase my battery live as well as making it more quiet. Thanks

After 10 minutes of idle, the drive shuts down itself.

efedor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Thanks for the advice, I am able to unmount it and mount it back on using disk utility. Only problem is... it still spinning!!! and I want it to stop so it doesn't use up the battery, I don't want it on for 10 minutes for it to shut down, I only want to activate it when I need to store large files.

haircrime

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
Thanks for the advice, I am able to unmount it and mount it back on using disk utility. Only problem is... it still spinning!!! and I want it to stop so it doesn't use up the battery, I don't want it on for 10 minutes for it to shut down, I only want to activate it when I need to store large files.

Hello all,

I have the same problem. Using an SSD as main drive and a 2nd Harddrive with optibay in my unibody macbook.

Even if I unmount the drive with different methods, it always starts spinning again after a couple of minutes. Does anyone know how to completely shut off the 2nd internal drive?

Thank you very much.

haircrime

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
no help?

anyone?

It must be possible to stop the second internal harddrive from spinning somehow.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
Enable the "put the hard drives to sleep when possible" option in Preferences -> Energy Saver, and the drives will spin-off during inactivity. Works for me.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Imac 27

Hey.

Im very interested in this option too. If I unmount the internal hard drive of my imac 27 will it stop completely and stop spinning and therefore be completely quiet?

I did a test with the Mac OS X dvd. I restarted using the dvd and wen to disk utility, where I unmounted the internal hard drive. However, it continued to make noise every 30 seconds or so. I could hear the hard drive spinning.

Then, I enabled the "put the disk to sleep when possible" and tried again. The hard drive seemed to stop completely and I couldnt hear anything, so I was very glad. Is this test viable? Would it be the same If I bought an external hard drive or SSD and unmount the internal hard drive of the imac? I mean, would it stop completely or would it turn on automatically every now and then?

Thanks.

xexets

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
sorry to pick up on an old thread but I am having similar concerns.
i.e. I have an SSD in my optibay, which is set to be the boot drive and a momentus xt in my primary hard drive bay. When I unmount it it spins down, but then after a while it spins up again (although it does not mount). I have turned off spotlight indexing for the drive and uninstalled istat widget, which as far as I understood could wake up a drive.
It still spins up randomly...
Is there some software that could tell me what is accessing that drive? Neither activity monitor nor console seem to be very telling for this.
Also, strange thing... using the developer software SPINDOWNHD even when my xt in unmounted and parked it looks like ACTIVE. I never managed to make it inactive or sleeping.
Any clues?
Thanks

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
if you have xcode installed, it contains an app called SpindownHD that lets you configure sleep timers for devices attached to your sata controller.

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Why not just change the spindown from 10 min (default) to 1 min?

That way after 1 min of inactivity it'll spin down?

Terminal:
Sudo pmset -a disksleep 1

jborko

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Why not just change the spindown from 10 min (default) to 1 min?

That way after 1 min of inactivity it'll spin down?

Terminal:
Sudo pmset -a disksleep 1

This is excellent solution! I was wondering if you can decrease the spindown time to 30 sek.?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
[[ Yes I can unmount it but how do I access it when I need it. ]]

Use the free app called "Semulov".

Old thread, but perhaps this may help someone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.