Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:47 AM   #1
snail17
macrumors newbie

MacBook Skips First Character Typed

White MacBook, Mac OS X v10.5.6

Hi, I bought my girlfriend a white MacBook in October 2008 and it has been great... except for one thing.

When typing text it often skips the first character typed. This happens in URL address bars, searches, web forms etc. which can be really annoying.
The only 3rd party software installed is Firefox 3, which is the application that has this problem the most, but then it is also by far the most used software.

I found 'firmware update 1.0 for MacBook keyboard (Feb 2008)' on the Apple download site which is supposed to fix this very issue. I tried to install it but was told that the MacBook was already at this firmware level (not surprising I suppose since it was bought 6 months after the update had been released).

I have seen quite a few issues posted about MacBook Pros re: the keyboard skipping random characters, but this is just the first character typed. It happens too often for it to be a user problem.

Does anybody else have this issue, and more importantly has anyone been able to fix it?
snail17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:51 AM   #2
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

I used to have the issue, but it hasn't happened in a VERY long time. I'm not sure what fixed it.

White Late 2006 MB, OS X 10.5.6
r.j.s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:01 PM   #3
KoolStar
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to KoolStar Send a message via Skype™ to KoolStar
I would suggest trying to reset all systems, pmu, nvram, etc.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 04:35 AM   #4
snail17
macrumors newbie

So... is there anything I should know about resetting a MacBook's NVRAM/PRAM/PMU. I assume I will lose some settings (mouse speed, speaker volume etc.). Are there any other implications/risks? Thanks.
snail17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook