Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Apr 20, 2004, 12:47 PM   #1
devilboy070
macrumors newbie

PS2 vs. XBox for online gaming with Mac

Hey!

My name is Keith. I just joined this forum. I want to get me a Mac. I am so sick of the PC. I'm also in the market for a gaming system. I've been torn between the PS2 and the XBox. Online gaming is something I really want to do. I was hoping to get some advice from here. Which of those two systems is the best one to have for online gaming if you have a Mac? Which is the easiest to set up for online gaming play? I'm really interested in hearing your opinions on which gaming system would definitely be the best and easiest to use if I want to do online gaming with a Mac. I look forward to your feedback. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Keith

P.S. Also which Macs are good for gaming? Is the iMac decent for gaming or not?
devilboy070 is offline   0
Old Apr 20, 2004, 01:14 PM   #2
Santiago
macrumors regular

The XBox is widely acknowledged as having superior online-play through the XBox Live service, which is used for all its games (it costs $50 per year). The XBox is also online-capable out of the box (as opposed to the PS2, which needs some accessories), and currently costs less, though Sony will probably drop the PS2 price to match. The PS2 does have a wider selection of games available, but both have more than any sane individual could ever play. The XBox has superior hardware and graphics quality, but what really matters are the games you personally are interested in. What sort of computer you have (or even if you have one) is generally irrelevant to your choice of console, by design.
Santiago is offline   0
Old Apr 20, 2004, 01:58 PM   #3
tibor
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago
The XBox is widely acknowledged as having superior online-play through the XBox Live service
By who? XBox fanboys?

Much of what Santiago says is true. The above statement is not. Both PS2 and Xbox online systems have their pros and cons, but only zealots claim that one is obviously superior over the other. It's like all the other features between consoles - there are some factors that favor Xbox, and some that favor Playstation.

It is not cheaper to go the Xbox route - it's essentially the same. Xbox is $150, plus another $70/year for the Xbox live starter kit, which includes a one-year subscription to their online service. You pay an additional $50/year after that.

PS2 is $200 with the network adapter, plus another $30 for the headset, which is basically what you get with Xbox live starter kit. There is no yearly subscription for online PS2 play at this time, but that can always change.

I agree that the type of computer you have doesn't really matter. What should matter to you are the games - which console has more of the games you want to play. Each console has its own exclusive titles and license agreements - for example, if you want to play EA sports games online (Tiger Woods, Madden, etc) you can only do it with PS2. You can buy the games for Xbox, but EA only provides online play for Playstation users.

Figure out what games you want to play, and choose a console based on that. Either way, you'll have fun.

-d

edit note: all prices taken from circuitcity.com
tibor is offline   0
Old Apr 20, 2004, 02:14 PM   #4
ZildjianKX

Here is a great link for a comparison:
CNET

I'm neither an xbox nor a PS2 zealot, but many people claim the Xbox Live is experience is better simply due to the lack of lagginess and how it is universal across the entire platform.

However, I hate the idea of paying to play for a game, especially a console game I just bought for $50...
ZildjianKX is offline   0
Old Apr 20, 2004, 03:17 PM   #5
flyfish29
macrumors 68020

I have a PS2 and love my online play. I oringinally started with dial up with Madden football and had great success though dial up. With X Box you MUST have high speed access for it to work.

What types of games are you going to Play?

Do you have dial up or high speed?

How big is the online gaming?

The types of games is important as well as what you want to play online.

Sony will be dropping the price very shortly to match the x-box price.
flyfish29 is offline   0
Old Apr 20, 2004, 03:32 PM   #6
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

I had a PS2 but sold it a while back... No particular reason... just didn't play it anymore at the time most likely... but I never used it online so I can't speak to that. However I do have an XBox (and a GameCube) and I do use XBox Live... sometimes.

I'd just get a game system that has the most games that you want. Really. Who cares about anything else that much? If I am a hardcore Pac-Man fan, hook me up with an Atari. Don't get a system based on graphics, etc. Get it based on games.

That being said... if you do go with an XBox here are a few tips for XBox Live.

First off. Ther newest revision of the starter kit is expensive ($70 or so). Try to find an older version of the starter kit and it'll be about $50. I found one at Wal-Mart. The newer version has the exact same everything except I think it comes with some crappy game that you'll probably never play. Of course, if you will play it, spend the extra $20.

Secondly, if you decide to renew your subscription after the first year you can shell out the $50 or go on eBay and get 12-month cards for $25. Might as well go that route.

Thirdly, I had bought Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow. After about 2 weeks of having it I realized that there was a "scratch off" to see if you won some prizes or something. Turns out I got a code for another free year of XBox Live. I put it into my account and it now says I don't have to renew until Feb. 2006. Neat. So you might get a free bit of Live from various sources. Who knows?

I don't know what all is out there on the PS2 side for online play as since I don't own a PS2 I don't keep up with that stuff. But I do know that there are a decent amount of games for XBox Live. Some of them are total gimmicks (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - You could download new weapons or something but if you've already beaten the game, why would you play all the way back through just to get a different blaster?) and others you have to pay for (Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix has song packs with about 4 or 5 new songs per pack that you can download for $5 a piece) but those are rare. But there's a bunch of good games out there for it which I believe ebgames.com has a link if you go into their XBox section and look on the left hand side for Live Games or something like that.

I like XBox Live but that doesn't mean that online gaming on the PS2 stinks.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 09:06 PM   #7
applekid
macrumors 68020

I'd actually get a GameCube if you want a direct correlation between your Mac and a game console. Download the WarpPipe program (do a google search. I can't find the url off the top of my head) and use it to play people in multiplayer games through the internet without paying for another service. So far it supports Mario Kart Double Dash and 1080 Snowboarding.
applekid is offline   0
Old Apr 20, 2004, 09:19 PM   #8
Rezet
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Rezet
I have both PS2 and XBOX and I must say, I like PS2 for online gaming.
XBOX is fine but I hate to pay money to play online.
And most importantly I dont understand why MS has to get my CC on file for me to play???!!! Isn't it the point of prepaid? Not to use cc? I have to run to the store to get a card and then when registering still enter the CC number. What's up with that?
My friend has xbox live and it performs very well though.
But I like the idea that i can use keyboard with ps2 or voicechat (not in all games) [I play Champions of Norrath online. It allows you to use keyb or headset, for example]. Cuz some days I just don't feel like yapping with the people i don't know.

BUT:

XBOX: = $150 + $25 controller = $175 total + $50(live) = $225
PS2: = $200 (w. net adapter) + $25 contr + 25 Memory = $250

If u look at the price, even with xbox live, xbox still ends up cheaper.
And considering that it's alot more powerful and gets just as many exclusive games as PS2 these days, XBOX maybe is the way to go for ya.
Since I have both, I prefer PS2 over xbox, personally. But XBox is very very close. And xbox value is very hard to beat.

The Matrix Online. The Beta testing has begun.
Join us, Red Pill. For more info: The Matrix Online

Last edited by Rezet; Apr 20, 2004 at 09:27 PM.
Rezet is offline   0
Old Apr 20, 2004, 09:24 PM   #9
Rezet
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by applekid
I'd actually get a GameCube if you want a direct correlation between your Mac and a game console. Download the WarpPipe program (do a google search. I can't find the url off the top of my head) and use it to play people in multiplayer games through the internet without paying for another service. So far it supports Mario Kart Double Dash and 1080 Snowboarding.
Ohh yeah and with this extensive selection of kiddie games, you can challenge just about whole 20 kids under 6 around the world!!!!

Rezet is offline   0
Old Apr 20, 2004, 10:23 PM   #10
devilboy070
macrumors newbie

Thanks

Hey!

Thanks to all those who have replied to my original post. You've given me a lot to think about. I want to go back to using a Mac. I did have an iMac when they first came out, but let my sister have it some time ago. Since then I've been using a PC again. I would rather go back to Mac. I was also interested in online gaming. I don't own either the PS2 or XBox, but have played games on both consoles. I did own a PS1. Right now I own a GameCube. I like the games on both the PS2 and XBox. Not sure which one I like the best. I guess my thing is that I didn't want to go off and buy myself a new Mac, then buy myself a new gaming system which wouldn't end up being compatible with the Mac. I wanted to make sure the one I got would work with a Mac. I also wanted to find out, in the case that both would work, which would be the less expensive and easiest to set up. I don't want to have a lot of hardship in setting everything up and a lot of pricey equipment to have to buy to do online gaming. Take care.

Keith
devilboy070 is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2004, 03:59 PM   #11
JzzTrump22
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to JzzTrump22
As a member of the xbox live community, i find it to be amazing. There are a huge amount of games available and many more are on the way. Start up costs are always expensive, but well worth it. $150 for an xbox, $70 for the live starter kit which includes 1 year of live and a headset, and you must have a high speed connection. Then your good to go. The live service works great, it's so much fun to play online and to be able to communicate with other players. Right now as i am posting this the xbox live service is updating to a new version called "Tsunami" which will have so many features, i can't wait for the service to be back up and running tomorrow!!!!
JzzTrump22 is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2004, 04:36 PM   #12
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

You keep referring to the fact that you want your console to "work with your Mac". What do you mean by that? Your Mac really has nothing to do with it unless you're going to run your internet from the wall, into your Mac, and then into your console. Instead you should run the internet from your wall, into a router, then into your Mac and your console (not through your Mac to your console).
Old Apr 21, 2004, 07:01 PM   #13
hvfsl
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Thanks I never knew about this.

Well I am off to get the GC broadband adapter and Mario Kart.
Media Centre - 3Ghz i3 G5500 BluRay Windows 7
hvfsl is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2004, 07:06 PM   #14
Freakk123
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Freakk123
I have both an Xbox and a PS2, and can say that for online play, its much better on Xbox. For one, everyone has a headset, and most people use them. On PS2, I have a very hard time finding some one else with a headset. Also, I find with Xbox, since everyone is using broadband, the games are more fun, with no slowdown. When it comes to games, its personal preference. Here are the places where Xbox excels: If you like shooters, get Rainbow Six 3, which is better for the Xbox (don't trust me- Check out any gaming magazine, website, etc.). While, yes, SOCOM is a very good game, RS3 IMHO is better. The games are quicker, more intense, and just all around more fun. Also, Crimson Skies for Xbox is a great game where you fly around and shoot down other planes, zeppelins, boats, etc. If you like Racing games, again, go with Xbox. Project Gotham Racing 2 is better than anything PS2 has... That is, until the next Grand Tourismo comes out. If sports games are your thing, go with PS2. That is, unless you really like games made by Sega Sports, in which case, Xbox is better. But generally EA Sports games are the best, and they are only online for PS2. If you like massively multiplayer online RPGs, use the mac. Or, if you just have to use the console (why you would, I don't know) PS2 would probably suit you best. And lastly, downloadable content: Xbox has better downloadable content. Because it has more; perhaps more than half of all newer Xbox games support it. Also, last but certainly not least, I'd say Xbox has better exclusive games, like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (probably the best game of 2003. again, don't trust me, trust gaming mags, sites, etc.) Yeah, so I'd say go with the Xbox. Oh, and two final, definitive words: Halo 2.
Freakk123 is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2004, 08:17 PM   #15
Freakk123
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Freakk123
Quote:
Just to help anyone who wants the URL: It is simply http://www.warppipe.com/
Freakk123 is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2004, 11:33 PM   #16
lostboy85
macrumors newbie

3 reasons for PS2

1. Microsoft is Evil
2. Final Fantasy
3. Its Sony

And of Course Ratchet + Clank!
Dont Forget Evil conglomerate or Japan based company hmmm
Heres A hint "Japan home of anime"
lostboy85 is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2004, 11:56 PM   #17
Rezet
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakk123
I have both an Xbox and a PS2, and can say that for online play, its much better on Xbox. For one, everyone has a headset, and most people use them. On PS2, I have a very hard time finding some one else with a headset. Also, I find with Xbox, since everyone is using broadband, the games are more fun, with no slowdown. When it comes to games, its personal preference. Here are the places where Xbox excels: If you like shooters, get Rainbow Six 3, which is better for the Xbox (don't trust me- Check out any gaming magazine, website, etc.). While, yes, SOCOM is a very good game, RS3 IMHO is better. The games are quicker, more intense, and just all around more fun. Also, Crimson Skies for Xbox is a great game where you fly around and shoot down other planes, zeppelins, boats, etc. If you like Racing games, again, go with Xbox. Project Gotham Racing 2 is better than anything PS2 has... That is, until the next Grand Tourismo comes out. If sports games are your thing, go with PS2. That is, unless you really like games made by Sega Sports, in which case, Xbox is better. But generally EA Sports games are the best, and they are only online for PS2. If you like massively multiplayer online RPGs, use the mac. Or, if you just have to use the console (why you would, I don't know) PS2 would probably suit you best. And lastly, downloadable content: Xbox has better downloadable content. Because it has more; perhaps more than half of all newer Xbox games support it. Also, last but certainly not least, I'd say Xbox has better exclusive games, like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (probably the best game of 2003. again, don't trust me, trust gaming mags, sites, etc.) Yeah, so I'd say go with the Xbox. Oh, and two final, definitive words: Halo 2.
Ohh yeah I agree, XBOX live performs slightly better overall. But you have to pay for it, which evens the odds quite quickly.
And on PS2, in most games, dial up and broadband users are separated. So DIAL up users cant join broadband games, while broadband users can join dial games (if they want). Thats the case with an online game I currently play: Twisted Metal Black Online. And Champions of Norrath is broadband only. So I wouldn't say that I have a problem with dialup users slowing me down or anything... Besides, why not let dial up users have fun too? If games are separated to reduce lag and free, it only makes things better, doesn't it?

Rezet is offline   0
Old Apr 22, 2004, 12:00 AM   #18
Rezet
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostboy85
1. Microsoft is Evil
2. Final Fantasy
3. Its Sony

And of Course Ratchet + Clank!
Dont Forget Evil conglomerate or Japan based company hmmm
Heres A hint "Japan home of anime"
If you really think SONY is far away from MS as far as monopoly and evil goes, you need a reality check. Besides, they are all huge companies who think of u as nothing more than a number. So picking a company based on "whos less evil" is just silly.

It's kinda like vegetarians... In theory, if everyone stops eating meat, they will achieve their goal. But knowing that people won't stop eating meat, this whole "im a vegetarian" yelling cannot and will not produce much if any effect.
If i have 50 bucks burning a hole in my pocket, I'm gonna go and get a good xbox game even though I may not support MS. Rather than going and getting crappy GC game just to show my loayalty to a company that obviously could care less about my gestures. The moral is: NOTHING EVER JUST CHANGES. To make a change this big you need an organization that you simply won't get. Unless of course you can convince people not to buy XBOX cuz "It's evil".

Last edited by Rezet; Apr 22, 2004 at 03:08 AM.
Rezet is offline   0
Old Apr 22, 2004, 02:36 AM   #19
ZildjianKX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezet
If you really think SONY is far away from MS as far as monopoly and evil goes, you need a reality check. Besides, they are all huge companies who think of u as nothing as a number. So picking a company based on "whos less evil" is just silly.
It's really sad how the major corporations have destroyed the videogame industry. SEGA is dead (no longer makes consoles), same with Atari... Nintendo is all we have left. It really scared me when I heard a quote that a senior VP from MS made about the Xbox... they aren't concerned how they're doing now, they're in it for the long run. It sounded like the borg to me for some reason...

So no matter how much you guys hate the gamecube and think its a kiddy console, if Nintendo dies so does the "Apple computers" of the videogame industry.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 03:06 AM   #20
Rezet
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZildjianKX
It's really sad how the major corporations have destroyed the videogame industry. SEGA is dead (no longer makes consoles), same with Atari... Nintendo is all we have left. It really scared me when I heard a quote that a senior VP from MS made about the Xbox... they aren't concerned how they're doing now, they're in it for the long run. It sounded like the borg to me for some reason...

So no matter how much you guys hate the gamecube and think its a kiddy console, if Nintendo dies so does the "Apple computers" of the videogame industry.
Hey no pun intended there. I'm not the one to bash GC. I think it's a decent console and considering t he price, it's a very good value. But at the same time nintendo has only themselves to blame for poor GC popularity. Practically No online support, 90% of first party games are obviously intended for younger children, and poor 3rd party support.
People don't buy Xbox cuz they just all for MS. They buy it cuz it has good games and gives them what they want.
Not like MS busted into Nintendo's HQ and split some wings with shotguns. Nintendo made many mistakes and now they are paying for it. Hope N does better with their new console.

Last edited by Rezet; Apr 22, 2004 at 03:10 AM.
Rezet is offline   0
Old Apr 22, 2004, 01:56 PM   #21
ZildjianKX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezet
Hey no pun intended there. I'm not the one to bash GC. I think it's a decent console and considering t he price, it's a very good value. But at the same time nintendo has only themselves to blame for poor GC popularity. Practically No online support, 90% of first party games are obviously intended for younger children, and poor 3rd party support.
People don't buy Xbox cuz they just all for MS. They buy it cuz it has good games and gives them what they want.
Not like MS busted into Nintendo's HQ and split some wings with shotguns. Nintendo made many mistakes and now they are paying for it. Hope N does better with their new console.
Completely agree with you. I have an Xbox and gamecube, and the gamecube competely collects dust most of the time. If Nintendo didn't have the gameboy, I think they'd be gone.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 05:54 AM   #22
Mord
macrumors G4

I used to bash xboxs hardcore but i won one in gaming competetion (midtown madness 3) I play crimson skies and jedi acadamy online (both hugely underrated games) the quality of online play is so much higher with an xbox and i have no woes about giveing money to m$ because all my games are preowned and my live service came with the winnings

I have always disliked ps2's due to a few reasons

1) sony killed sega and the brillient dreamcast (they dremcast acctually had better ghraphics than the ps2 just compare ecco the dolfin on ps2 to the DC version)

2) to get anywhere neer live quality you have to buy all this crap like headsets a HD a network adapter and some freinds list type thing (all very confusing)

3) FF is crap (no here for an arguement just my opinion) if you want a superb rpg get KOTOR or skies of arcadia gold on the GC FF is just boring.
Mord is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2004, 07:06 AM   #23
Whotheheck
macrumors member

If online gaming is a big deal, get an x-box. I have a PS2 with an online adapter and an x-box with x-box live and I would take the live service over the PS2 online games anyday. X-box live runs smoother and once you install x-boxlive, it pretty much takes over your console. for example, you can see which of your buddies are online from the main menu. you can't do that on a PS2 because, well, there are no buddy lists to begin with! You also can't download on a PS2 unless you buy the HDD ($99).

But if you're hardly going to play online and play solo most of the time, then this shouldn't matter. Both are great systems. I don't think you could go wrong with either. X-box does have better graphics (most games will even run on in HDTV and almost all are in dolby digital) but the PS2 has some really good single player games that aren't out on x-box yet. A lot of Japanese games (ie Final Fantasy) are PS2 only but most American games are made for both, in which case, the x-box version will be the best.
Whotheheck is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2004, 07:01 PM   #24
LoadRunner
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to LoadRunner Send a message via Yahoo to LoadRunner
I wouldn't buy a console for online play. It's much more enjoyable to play with friend in rl, or to play on the computer.

xbox has several good racing sims, and halo 2, some fps but none of them really to the experience found on a real computer.
ps2 has allot of variety. dance dance, gun con, square enix.
nintendo has less games, but many of those are instant classics. Like meteoroid, zelda, and battle
LoadRunner is offline   0
Old May 5, 2004, 02:20 PM   #25
Mike Teezie
macrumors 68020

I think devilboy070 may be referring to using a Mac and console together a la Xbox and XBConnect: http://xbconnect.com/

I was dissapointed when I leanred the folks at XBconnect hadn't made a Mac client, as I was looking forward to being able to set up online play for Halo. As far as I know, there is no available client for Mac.
Mike Teezie is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games