Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcrites2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Hi, I'm looking for an iPhone recording app in which you can change the volume of the microphone. So far i've been unable to find what I'm looking for. HT recorder has three different settings for microphone levels but I want to be able to adjust it just like you do on any computer sound card. I find it hard to believe that there isn't this capability available when it is so standard on computers. I went to a concert the other night and tried to record it (even had it in my pocket with thick wad of paper towels to dampen the sound) and it was so loud and distorted you can barely make out the songs :( . Also I'm wanting to record music through a line out of a mixer/amp and that usually overdrives the microphone as well. Does anyone know of an app that can do what I want?

Thanks

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
No, there's not. Your only option is to turn down the input to the iPhone. The same goes for most recording equipment. You turn down the input, not the receiver.

jcrites2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
While this may be true, is not the iPhone similar to a computer? As I mentioned before, the capability of changing the microphone volume on a computer is a standard that is always included. Surely the capability is there, if just someone would include it in an app. Anyone else know of an app that can do this?

acdcdas

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2009
live recording on iphone?

Hi, I have similarly been trying to record my bands rehearsals on my iphone.
I always used to use my ipod with a griffin italk and it would work great but my ipod died and i thought i should be able to do this on my iphone.
I have found though everytime i try to record it just distorts so much it is useless and in a rehearsal room you cant just turn down live drums etc or move the iphone further away as it is in a small room.
If there are no apps that can turn the mic input down as said above, are there any external mics that work with the iphone that may have a better level setting for this?

I feel like i have wasted money on, italk, recorder even the four track version. All useless if the recordings come out distorted

any help anyone or is the iphone a step backward from my old ipod?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.