Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
I just got an Extreme last night when my Netgear router died. So I set it all up, and have my 2008 iMac and PowerBook all connected. However, my daughter's iMac (lamp) sees the network but does not pass the password for some reason and it not allowed to join the network. Does the old imac have an issue with the security setup of extreme? I used to have the network with no password but thought it would be a good idea to protect it when I set up the extreme. So where she did not have an issue with the Netgear, she can not connect to the extreme.

Any ideas?

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
What security do you have on the Extreme, WEP or WPA(2)? Security shouldn't matter. Try this:

- Turn off the iMac's Airport and then navigate to "Macintosh HD\Library\Preferences\SystemConfiguration" and drag the files "com.apple.airport.preferences.plist" and "preferences.plist" to the trash (might need to enter in a password). Make sure that they have been removed from the folder and then restart. Try connecting again.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
I'm 99% sure I did the WAP/WAP2 security.

I did as suggested, but their were not files of the exact names. Just airport.setup.plist or something like that. I trashed them, restarted and still can't connect.

If I select the WAP or WAP2 and enter the password, the error I get is 'the selected network does not support that type of encryption'. If I chose WEP or None, I get 'there was a problem connecting to that network'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.