Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8thDegreeSavage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I am currently rocking a 867/G4 with 768 MB ram, 60 gig HD and Geforce 2 mx vidchipset.

I was wondering, how long, in your profesional opinions will this machine last me?
I like power and gaming alot, and i also use apps like Maya and Lightwave. I know owning a dualy would be best, but i cant afford one right now so i scored this machine, which is handling well so far. Im really curious if i will notice a large boost in performance when using 10.2 as i have heard it is aimed at my generation and future generation machines.
Please give me your opinions on the 867 model, its pros and cons as you guys see them....i am really curious as to what you all think.

Thanks alot

8th

:D

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by irmongoose
Me say at least 3, 4 years... I hoping cauz me setup (iMac 800) is worse dan yours an I intend to keep dat long, ya?

(Aw man I really should quit doing this crap.. I'm annoying myself :rolleyes: )

irmongoose

Oh, sweet Jesus you sound like Jar, Jar. I would say 3 - 4 years also. It depends on what the future holds. If in two years we are chugging along at 1.8 GHZ G4's, then I think you are fine. Apple will be in big trouble, but you will be fine. If in 2 years we are humming at 3.5 or 4 GHZ, then yes go three years on your machine, otherwise, go for 4. Anyway it goes, they will last longer than my G3 600's :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
3 to 4 is definitely acceptable. I'm currently running a 450MHz G4 at home - the first ones to come out almost 3 years ago, using Lightwave, FCP and such, and it still gets the job done. I'm hoping to upgrade next year, so that will make it 3.5 years or so. I do have a TiPB, which helps in the interim, and even though its a 667MHz, its more of a lifestyle difference than anything else.

D

8thDegreeSavage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thank you guys, i feel alot better now.

But do you think that Jag will make a real impact on my machine as far as performance goes?...or will it be aimed at future machines or maybe even bringing older ones up to speed?

I am curious of this question as well...

Thanks again for the opinions.:D

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by 8thDegreeSavage
Thank you guys, i feel alot better now.

But do you think that Jag will make a real impact on my machine as far as performance goes?...or will it be aimed at future machines or maybe even bringing older ones up to speed?

I am curious of this question as well...

Thanks again for the opinions.:D

If you have enough memory to run QE, then yea, even if you don't it will still make a big impact though. QE is going to make X fly. Really friggin fly.

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
I agree w/ 3-4 yrs. Seeing that my G3 233 is currently 4yrs. old coming up to 5 in Nov.
Even worse I use Maya PS7 and Peak3 on this maching :cool: :eek: :cool: :eek:
We plan on buying this MWNY if the Major Mobo updates become a reality otherwise we will continue to wait for Rev. B G5 or maybe even Rev. A if were desperate.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
One of the things that I am thinking a lot now, was if I did a good Buy in opting for a Powerbook instead of a PowerMac. I have a TiG4 550Mhz, which is currelntly having problems with the modem and Apple Portugal want to send it to England for having it repaired ( notice one thing... It can take easily 1 to 2 months... for a F***ing modem!!!!!!!!!) While I was writing a letter to Apple Portugal reporting this problem and the way that their assistant is resolving my problem ( Assistant that insists that the iBook has a Superdrive and speeds between 700 and 800Mhz!!!! I was shocked when I heard this statements to a client that was having a Problem with a Pismo and he was showing him a ibook 600 with a real combodrive but he was saying that it could burn DVD's... No, this isn't a leak... It's pure being... oh well you decide what you want to put there), I thought of trading my powerbook for a new one or even for a tower. I think of my specs, having only 16Mb of Video, a 550 Mhz processor... But, I have the computer since the end of October, until when will I as a user be satisfied with my purchase... I can't upgrade the Video card, I can't upgrade the processor... Wanting the best and the latest drives a man crazy...

Haven't tried Jaguar, but i do really hope that it will be damn fast, or I will have to spend more money in buying a PowerMac!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.