Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:11 PM   #1
pcb105
macrumors newbie

Mac Mini 2009 Media Center Remote

Hi All,

I am a new user of a Mac Mini. I really like the Mini, but have found high bitrate HD clips (30+ MBits tend to drop frames (on the order of 1 -2 / minute). I am using Plex and playing mkv files or TS files. When I play the same clips under Windows (via Bootcamp) it plays without any dropped frames (with PowerDVD Ultra 9 / Media Center).

So I have 2 questions.... Is there any optimizations I should do on the Mac Mini to make the files play better? And is there any way that I can get the remote IR receiver on the Mac Mini to play with a media center remote (Vista Media Center / Bootcamp). The apple one works, but it only can control volume / play / pause and skip forward / back when you are playing a video. I need to get the navigation up down left right to work when at a Video menu (DVD / BD mode) and navigation when I am selecting what video file to play.

I have loads of HD space so I would perfer not to transcode all of my video as I have seen that take 15-20 hours per movie.

Thanks in advance. I am sorry if I posted in the wrong area. I did many searches and I could not find a thread, but sometimes it could be sitting under my nose.

Signed Windows User who desparately wants to switch to a Mac Mini.

Last edited by pcb105; Apr 11, 2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Clarification
pcb105 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:40 AM   #2
robanga
macrumors 68000

As to the IR receiver issue, I believe you are going to need the IR receiver that came with your Windows Media Center remote. On my media center that is a USB device. I doubt that the IR internal to the mini is going to play nice with a Microsoft remote.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:01 PM   #3
robotartfashion
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by robanga View Post
As to the IR receiver issue, I believe you are going to need the IR receiver that came with your Windows Media Center remote. On my media center that is a USB device. I doubt that the IR internal to the mini is going to play nice with a Microsoft remote.
who knows, i would try googling this, and possibly looking in to things like remote buddy

the problem is with getting your remote to recognize the ir port, are the WMC remotes programable? I use a Harmony 880 with my Macs (and all of my other controllable devices) so you could always look into any of the harmony remotes

so the dongle the above poster is pointing out + remote buddy would probable be your best bet in OSX
Old Apr 13, 2009, 08:09 AM   #4
pcb105
macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. I was hoping to avoid the external IR receiver (which I will test tonight). I also found a link to a driver that hopefully will work.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=9151261

This one I will try tonight and post my results.

-pcb105
Old Apr 13, 2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcb105 View Post
I really like the Mini, but have found high bitrate HD clips (30+ MBits tend to drop frames (on the order of 1 -2 / minute).
I don't understand how you perceive this as a problem. It isn't discernible, physiologically speaking.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 09:08 AM   #6
pcb105
macrumors newbie

I am sorry I should have been a little more descriptive. The input file is 24fps and the issues happen about 90-100 dropped frames during a 90 minute movie. They tend to be noticeable. When I test with the information turned on (hitting 'I' in Plex) I notice the frame drops increase by a few frames each time I see a stutter). It does not seem to happen 1 every minute or two. I have noted I never have seen a frame drop when the bit rate is under 20MBits/sec.

Do you know of anyway that I can log the information so I can see what the frame rate is whenever a dropped frame happens (however I can see that this logging could cause more dropped frames, so the test could be flawed).

Thanks a lot for your response.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 07:24 AM   #7
pcb105
macrumors newbie

I tried the driver mentioned a few posts earlier and I can't seem to get it installed. I guess I will go with the USB IR receiver now. That one should work

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini