Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigevilalien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Chicago, IL
I have a 12" powerbook G4 (Al, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM, 80 gb HD). How much would it be worth if I sold it on the open market to help defray the cost of a new computer for law school?

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
if you have an ebay account, you can log in, search for the same machine, then click the checkbox in the left column marked Completed Listings, to see what people have successfully sold it for.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
mac2sell.net is a good online resource, but they give a bit of a lowball figure. I'd check craigslist in your area and see what they're going for.

They're still popular machines, and still quite useful if the ram is maxed out like yours. If you list it, make sure you mention that the ram has been upgraded, and list any extras that you'd be throwing in, like a case, extra battery, etc., or any software that you're willing to leave on it, like leopard, a recent version of iLife, iWork, Office, Creative Suite, etc.

Honestly, why wouldn't you be able to use your powerbook for law school? I've got your machine (well, not literally) and it is perfectly good for word processing, email and browsing. Your PB is a good size and build quality to throw in a backpack and take to class. Assuming that lexis/nexis and westlaw will work on your browser (I'd recommend safari 4 if you haven't done so already.), you may as well leverage every bit of life out of the system you've already paid before before incurring even more debt.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
i'd probably say in the 250-350 range.

you could get the MAX if you dropped in a larger hard drive though - a lot of 'consumers' if you can call them that look for HD space

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
I recently sold one for $650 back in September on craigslist. Theses are great little machines and people love them. I personally would say you could get about at least $500 or more on eBay or craigslist. Also it depends on the condition of the unit. The one I sold was mint condition. Good luck in your sale…..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.