Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
Just southeast of Northwestshire
I'm trying to move my website from the current (craptacular) hosting it's on to my iMac which has Leopard server on it.

I'm wondering how I can do it - I can only manage to do it through my local network.

Also, none of the networking works via AirPort - Server Preferences freezes when it's not connected via Ethernet to a different computer.

It's on a Standard/Basic configuration.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Is your isp providing a static ip? Are you behind a router? Is this website a business website or personal? Reason I ask about business or personal is because if your not a business customer with your isp then your isp is not going to provide or guarantee the bandwidth to handle all the traffic for your business website.

epmd

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2009
I recently started a similar project. Perhaps I can help.

I am assuming that the computer running your server software is one computer on your Airport wireless network. If this is the case, my comments would apply (I think).

1) Before setting up the server, use the Airport configuration utility to reserve the Server an IP address. The server needs to have the same IP address on your network each and every time. I had intermittent problems using Server Preferences until I did this.

2) After you decide what IP address your server will have on your network (I use 10.0.1.50) then install the server software with this IP address, and make sure the machine settings reflect manual IP address. Since it has already been reserved in the Airport Router settings, your machine will always have this available.

3) Unless you pay for a static IP address, you will get a new address periodically from your Internet Provider. I use dyndns updater (http://www.dyndns.com) to address this issue. You run an application on your server which talks to their servers, regularly updating your external IP address (the one your provider assigns you) on their server. Users type in an address you get on their site, and there requests are redirected to your current numeric IP address.

4) Without any additional settings, my Airport Extreme sends all the traffic that comes into via my external IP address to my server.

Hope this helps. Mine is a work in progress, so any comments are appreciated.

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
How ...

... complex is your web-serving, anyway: Are you really in need of using Leopard Server?

I am asking this, because I use dynamic DNS together with our main machine to serve webpages/file downloads for family. For this purpose, you can use OSX all on its own. OSX Server really is needed in case you have multiple domains, complex data driven webpages, high load throughput asf. and might be overkill for your single setup.

At the momet it seems to me, that dynamic DNS is not working properly. Is the airport hardware doing the dynamic DNS setup?

Give us more details about your setup.

Love

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
I am wirelessly connected to the AirPort Extreme. I am now on an advanced config. The APBS has my IP set for Port Mapping to port 80.

my website mainly hosts images (webcomic). it is also a webmail server and has a blog and wiki running off it.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
That's not our IP address. Close, but no cigar.

you need to set dynDNS to your IP address. your external IP, not internal (so don't use 192.168.x.x, or 10.0.x.x)

and when your external changes (if you don't have a static), then you have to update it again. they have an app to do this for you

Love

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
Even when I do that, it keeps telling me the server where the page is located isn't responding although my logs seem to say that the computer I'm attempting to access it from is loading things.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Even when I do that, it keeps telling me the server where the page is located isn't responding although my logs seem to say that the computer I'm attempting to access it from is loading things.

if you do it correctly, you will not be able to access the server using that web address locally. only from outside your network.

in other words. if you set it to test.mydns.org, and your external address is 65.65.781.32, and your internal is 192.168.1.3.

if you go to test.mydns.org on your network, it is the same as going to 65.65.781.32. you cannot do this from your network. only outside. from inside, you have to go to 192.168.1.3

i hope this helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.