Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Apr 13, 2009, 05:57 AM   #1

Recommended learning material for developing iPhone software

So I just got my MacBook, and finally have the tools I need to start developing iPhone apps. I've got the SDK, but the thing is, I have very little programming knowledge. Where would be a good place to start learning the programming language? I assume its C++? I know there's loads of C++ books and sites out there for learning the language, but I'd like one that teaches you it within the iPhone environment, if you get what I mean, as in, teaching it with iPhone development in mind.

Just want a few ideas for books or sites I can check out. This is something I really want to start doing.

Thanks,
Luke
226896 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:17 AM   #2
BlackWolf
macrumors regular

it's cocoa touch which is based on objective-c 2.0

best thing to do: grab a objective-c tutorial and start with that.

best place to start is of course http://developer.apple.com/iphone/ Apple provides really really good documentation for their stuff, but you need a little experience to undestand those. but there are lots of example codes and tutorials their and every API function is documented, it's really great.

also, just open up a template app in xcode (for example a view-based application) and look at how it is build up
BlackWolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 07:36 AM   #3
clarksonknight
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeeeee View Post
So I just got my MacBook, and finally have the tools I need to start developing iPhone apps. I've got the SDK, but the thing is, I have very little programming knowledge. Where would be a good place to start learning the programming language? I assume its C++? I know there's loads of C++ books and sites out there for learning the language, but I'd like one that teaches you it within the iPhone environment, if you get what I mean, as in, teaching it with iPhone development in mind.

Just want a few ideas for books or sites I can check out. This is something I really want to start doing.

Thanks,
Luke
Luke,

If you want something to read in print, I'd suggest starting with "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" by Stephen Kochan first, then pick up the book by Jeff LaMarche - "Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK"

The first book is great for those who haven't done a lot of programming, and the second book assumes that you know a little bit about Objective C.

Both books are a very easy read with lots of code examples, so by the time you're done with both you should be well on your way to making apps.
clarksonknight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 07:40 AM   #4
iGary

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksonknight View Post
Luke,

If you want something to read in print, I'd suggest starting with "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" by Stephen Kochan first, then pick up the book by Jeff LaMarche - "Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK"

The first book is great for those who haven't done a lot of programming, and the second book assumes that you know a little bit about Objective C.

Both books are a very easy read with lots of code examples, so by the time you're done with both you should be well on your way to making apps.
+1

Excellent suggestion and both are awesome books.
iGary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 05:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksonknight View Post
Luke,

Excellent, thank you very much for the suggestions. I'll be ordering both these books off Amazon today. I can't wait to get started!
226896 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming