Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Apr 13, 2009, 07:57 PM   #1
maw4bc
macrumors regular

How can I figure out the max RAM for my Powerbook G4?

I am doing some upgrading to my good old PowerBook G4. I just bought leopard for 70 bucks and am thinking about adding some more memory to the laptop. My brother had it before and he added some memory before he gave it to me.

Here is what I got right now. Was wondering how much RAM my powerbook can take and if anyone has any suggestions on a good hard drive to add I might swap that out as well.

Mac OSX 10.5.6
Processor 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4
Memory 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM
Capacity of HD is 74.41 GB (I am guessing this is the original)

Thanks,
Mike
maw4bc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 08:02 PM   #2
spinnerlys

You seem to be able to install 2GB RAM and install almost any 2.5" ATA (IDE) hdd you want.

Look here for more details: http://mactracker.dreamhosters.com/iphone/#_modelList
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 09:08 PM   #3
clyde2801
macrumors 601

My 12" pb hums along just fine on leopard with 1.25 gigs of ram. If you've got 10.5 already, open up activity monitor, and see what it's telling you. If you're using all the ram, or have any page outs during normal usage, then upgrade to the full 2 gigs. If not, what you've already got should do it.

That's assuming that you're doing just basic consumer stuff with it like surfing, email, word processing, etc. If you're doing anything to challenge the processor, like encoding videos, then you probably want to max that puppy out.

I'd upgrade the hard drive to either a 7200 rpm ide drive if you can find it, or a certain 160 gig samsung single platter 5400 rpm drive that is reportedly even faster. Good luck.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs