Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caelum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Australia
Hi all,

When I started uni years ago, we were given free 2G USB flash drives. The drives were partitioned in half so that there was a read/write partition to use for whatever and the other partition is read only - it has a bunch of files relevant to us students and links to all the relevant uni webpages and such.

Now that I've finished uni I'd like to use my drive as one whole read/write-able drive. But I'm having trouble getting rid of the read only partition.

The get info panel shows that I have only permission to read and there is no option there to change that.

Disk Utility will not allow me to erase, format or re-partition the drive (I can erase the read/write portion though). All the options to do anything to the drive are greyed out, presumably because I cannot write to it.

Is there some way I can give myself permission to write to this drive? It is a perfectly good drive and it seems a shame to waste half of its space on stuff I will never use again.

I am running OS X - 10.5.6 on an iMac G5 and the drive is formatted as: MS-DOS (FAT12). I have also tried to erase/reformat it in Vista, but cannot because of the write protection.

Very grateful for any help,
Cheers.

kahlil88

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2009
Mendocino, CA
It sounds like the USB drive has some sort of hardware write-protection. What brand and model is this drive? You probably need to download some sort of reformatting utility from the manufacturer's website.

Caelum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Australia
It is branded with my university's name and logo, but it is a Western Digital drive underneath. I searched their site for software applicable for the model, but it wasn't compatible with any apple OS or with Vista (xp only).

I guess I'm stuck with the stupid partition unless I can get access to an XP machine. Also I couldn't tell from the software's name or description whether or not it would even allow me to re-format with it, so even that may not work.

Damn.

kahlil88

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2009
Mendocino, CA
It is branded with my university's name and logo, but it is a Western Digital drive underneath. I searched their site for software applicable for the model, but it wasn't compatible with any apple OS or with Vista (xp only).

I guess I'm stuck with the stupid partition unless I can get access to an XP machine. Also I couldn't tell from the software's name or description whether or not it would even allow me to re-format with it, so even that may not work.
Do you know what the model number is? If it's not on the drive, it should at least be in the System Profiler.

Caelum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Australia
Do you know what the model number is? If it's not on the drive, it should at least be in the System Profiler.

WDC WD2500JS-40NGB2

So far the only software I can find relevant to that number is XP only. Got to make friends with some PC people...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I don't know how it is in Aus, but here you can pick up a 4GB pen drive for about £5. It might not be worth all the hassle trying to figure this one out...

kahlil88

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2009
Mendocino, CA
WDC WD2500JS-40NGB2

So far the only software I can find relevant to that number is XP only. Got to make friends with some PC people...
I believe this is your internal hard drive, or else Google is lying to me. Look in the USB section of the System Profiler.

Caelum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Australia
I know where to look for the model number and my internal drive is not a western digital drive. I know that Googling the number only returns results for larger HDs as I have already done it, nevertheless that is the number of my flash drive.

Thanks for your help so far, I will be trying to use the XP software tomorrow on a different computer and if that doesn't work I'll just abandon it as not worth the effort, as edesignuk says.

Thanks for your time so far though, cheers.

SurfKels

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2016
I solved this problem by going into disk utility, finding my external hard drive, and then clicking erase. This reformatted the drive and erased all data, but it works fine now.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
It sounds like the "protected" partition of the drive was created with special formatting software. I can remember back when some drives (such as Sandisk) were sold with "U3" -- which was a "protected partition" that could not be removed using the Mac OS.

The only way to GET RID OF the protected partition was to use specialized "U3" disk software that would remove the protection, after which it was possible to re-initialize the entire drive to Mac format.

You might try hunting down the U3 software.
Sandisk had (had?) a Mac version.
Western Digital? Maybe they have something as well.
Open a google search page, then enter the text string:
"western digital app to remove u3 protection"

Otherwise, if you can't find the appropriate software to remove the protection, I'd just toss it into the trash.
Flashdrives are cheap these days...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.