Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclover001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
I know this is a bit ironic because I just posted a thread saying I don't care for Apple servers because its stupid to have a GUI on one, but I guess my Debian server didn't like hearing me insult its friend, because it literally exploded last night. At about 2am, it started making this noise that sounded like a ray gun (???), then I heard something shoot of something and clang against the metal (??????).

So now, because I love Macs (see username), and since I've never actually tried an Apple server, I was thinking of getting an older G5 Tower and buying a nice copy of OS X Server. But first, a few questions:

1) What the hell is that ray gun noise? It does that whenever I turn it on, but the rest of the computer is silent. I think it was the fan that shot off. Anyway, it sounds kind of like "PEWWWWwwwwwwwwww....... PEWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwww........". It's the strangest thing.

2) It's main purpose was a web server (Some people are going to be pissed when they find out their site is down), If I can get the data of the old server, is it easy to import all the MySQL databases and continue using osDate and SMF Forums as if nothing happened?

3) Can MySQL and PHP5 be installed?

4) Can I Time Machine to an AirPort Disk? (I think I know the answer to this one, just want to make sure that OS X Server comes with Time Machine)

5) I have an Apple server and an Apple computer, can they do cool things together? (Pretty vague question, sorry)

6) How loud are G5 PowerMacs? (Aluminum ones)

7) Mac Mini ≠*Server, correct?

My biggest concerns right now are if my data is okay (I had a two-drive RAID setup), and if the SQL databases will transfer seamlessly.

Thanks alot. :)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
1) No idea what's causing that... I'm not too familiar with server hardware.
2) Your biggest obstacle is going to be reading whatever file system the server's drive had. Once you get past that, the site itself should transfer without issue, and I believe there is a way to import the old MySQL databases, though I don't know how.
3) No need to worry about this - Mac OS X Server comes with these things!
4) Yes! Mac OS X Server is a pure superset of Mac OS X Client, so it has full TM support.
5) Indeed they can - you can, for example, set up your own private iChat server and centralize logins across multiple Macs with Mac OS X Server.
6) Don't know - never used one.
7) Mac Mini doesn't come with Mac OS X Server, but you can certainly install it on one, should you feel inclined to do so.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
As to the sound, you CAN record it using your mac's built in microphone you know. Make into aac, zip it, and up it.

Mac Mini can run as a server it's just that it doesn't use desktop drives unless you mod it.

Back up data.

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
7) Mac Mini ≠*Server, correct?

Depends on anticipated demands -- I legitimately run Leopard Server on a Mac Mini C2D/1.6, 2GB of RAM and 250GB HD.

I can't speak to scalability given my needs, but it performs well for "light" file serving, web serving and user management.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
G5s are quieter than servers thats for sure. They are a tinny bit louder than your windows PC. Sometimes louder thanks to the 8 fans it has. Don't get a Single 1.6, they crap out easy. Try to find one made after November of 03. We bought a dual 1.8 right around then and the lower processor fried after about 3 months. Got it fixed under warranty.

Then it fired again but we don't know why. We only found out after taking it in to have the modem replace. The tech asked us if the computer was running slow, we said no and he told us the lower processor was burnt out again. Didn't have any problems with it from that point on. It's still going strong with Leopard. But it ran Tiger the best.

maclover001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
G5s are quieter than servers thats for sure. They are a tinny bit louder than your windows PC. Sometimes louder thanks to the 8 fans it has. Don't get a Single 1.6, they crap out easy. Try to find one made after November of 03. We bought a dual 1.8 right around then and the lower processor fried after about 3 months. Got it fixed under warranty.

Then it fired again but we don't know why. We only found out after taking it in to have the modem replace. The tech asked us if the computer was running slow, we said no and he told us the lower processor was burnt out again. Didn't have any problems with it from that point on. It's still going strong with Leopard. But it ran Tiger the best.

Thanks.
I'm trying to find a nice G5 aluminum tower on craigslist, then I'll buy a copy of OS X Server from the Apple store. Do retail stores carry the server edition, or is it something you have to special order?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.