Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamSchneeberger

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Hey Guys,

I need your guys' help. I upgraded from a 250GB 5400rpm drive to the WD Scrop. 500 GB drive yesterday. The 250GB drive was completely full with only a few mb. to spare. After the upgrade and reinstallation of Bootcamp the laptops going a lot slower on startup (25 loady rotation thingy) and shut down and with a few programs.

These are the steps I did to upgrade:
- Used CarbonCopy to backup the Partition to a external disk.
- Installed the new drive.
- Booted up on the External Backup and copied over the whole backup partition to the new disk using Diskutility and the restore thingy.
- I installed bootcamp (150gb) and there is still about 230gb to spare on the Mac partion. The most changes are in Lightroom with loading of Jpegs and RAW pics and especially on startup and shutdown it takes a lot longer.
- I defraged using idefrag (quick online version only though)

Did I do something wrong with the migration? are there any others things I can do to make it faster?

Thanks,
Sam

RKpro

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
Try repairing disk permissions in Disk Utility for your osx partition. That usually speeds things up for me when things slow down.

SamSchneeberger

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Done,

I noticed a small change.

But startup still takes 3 months. Is there something wrong I did with the system migration?

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I would recommend a clean install just because. I don't have any hard evidence that would show why there would be a slowdown but when I tried a clone and boot vs. a fresh install my clones always showed a noticable slowdown (on platter and solid state drives). I personally would do a fresh install then use the Migration Assistant to move everything over. Some of the more complicated apps like lightroom and CS4 may not migrate correctly, in that case you'd deactivate your install while you still have a chance and install it fresh.

SamSchneeberger

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
I got it down to a 25ish second startup.

There is no way I am going to waste another WHOLE day backing up and reinstalling OS X and Boot Camp, so I will just have to live with it.

How do Fonts (library->fonts) affect performance? Is like on windows? I've got a crapload of them.

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
I got it down to a 25ish second startup.

There is no way I am going to waste another WHOLE day backing up and reinstalling OS X and Boot Camp, so I will just have to live with it.

How do Fonts (library->fonts) affect performance? Is like on windows? I've got a crapload of them.

25 is pretty good. Faster than my stock UMBP 250gb drive.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Hey Guys,

I need your guys' help. I upgraded from a 250GB 5400rpm drive to the WD Scrop. 500 GB drive yesterday. The 250GB drive was completely full with only a few mb. to spare. After the upgrade and reinstallation of Bootcamp the laptops going a lot slower on startup (25 loady rotation thingy) and shut down and with a few programs.

These are the steps I did to upgrade:
- Used CarbonCopy to backup the Partition to a external disk.
- Installed the new drive.
- Booted up on the External Backup and copied over the whole backup partition to the new disk using Diskutility and the restore thingy.
- I installed bootcamp (150gb) and there is still about 230gb to spare on the Mac partion. The most changes are in Lightroom with loading of Jpegs and RAW pics and especially on startup and shutdown it takes a lot longer.
- I defraged using idefrag (quick online version only though)

Did I do something wrong with the migration? are there any others things I can do to make it faster?

Thanks,
Sam

iDefrag is unnecessary and will slow down the system. HFS is more efficient if you let itself do its own defragging.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Done,

I noticed a small change.

But startup still takes 3 months. Is there something wrong I did with the system migration?

Any issues you had were brought over from the old clone. I always recommend fresh installs over using a clone; however, always do a clone first so you know you have all your data.

PS. 25 seconds is a very good boot time for a platter drive. My 2.4 uMBP's (2GB RAM) stock drive takes 39 seconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.