Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frescies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Hi,

Does anybody know a way to change your windows domain password from your mac? I was wondering if there was a way to do it... Similar to how you can do it from a PC (if you are logged into your account, you can simply press control-alt-delete and theres a "change password" button right there that lets you change the password for your account accross the domain). I'm tryin to change my domain password from my mac but I can't figure out if I can do it from the thing :)

Oh yeah.... I'd like to do it from OSX

THanks in advance!!!
David

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
If you go to Microsoft's site (link is below) then you can download a program they made for OS X users called Remote Desktop which allows you to see any Windows screen from your Mac. It uses either the Remote Desktop Service or Terminal Services. I use it through Terminal Services on my iMac to my Windows Server and it works great. You have complete control of your Windows machine as if you were sitting right in front of it. Otherwise I don't think this is any other way to do it from your Mac.

I didn't find anything about changing domain password, but you can change the password of the administrator account which runs the system. Go to Active Directory Users/Computers, then to Users Folder (this isn't the User folder that you may of created! Its there by default) and find Administrator (probably the first thing you see) and right click on it and reset password.

After you get the Remote Desktop thing working you can do all of this right from your Mac.

Here is the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=remotedesktopclient

Let me know if you have any problems using Remote Desktop!

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
One note about RDC:

You must be in the local Administrators group to login. Or, if the system you are connecting is Windows Server 2003, you can edit the group policy to allow certain users to login via RDC.

If you are a joe average user, forget about RDC, let alone running Active Directory management tools.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.