Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 14, 2009, 08:02 PM   #1
ryans79
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Can i use this to program for the iphone?

Hello!

I have never bought an Apple machine in my life so i'm a little confused, i want to start making a few apps for the iphone (i dont have an iphone) so i started looking for the cheapest way to get in and came across this:

http://www.blocket.se/vi/21117597.htm?ca=11_s

Can someone please tell me if its possible to develop on that or is it too old to run the necessary SDKs?
As you can see, there are no real details on that link... so are there any questions i should ask the guy who's selling it?

Thanks!
Ryan
ryans79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 08:04 PM   #2
dukebound85
macrumors P6
 
dukebound85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 5045 feet above sea level
yea thats too old

there is a cerain version of itunes required, maybe vs8? and only some macs can run it, not the older ones
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 08:09 PM   #3
fishkorp
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
The SDK requires an Intel Mac with Leopard (although there are hacks to make it work on PPC Macs, but it still requires Leopard). That is way too old.
fishkorp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 08:12 PM   #4
macuser1997
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Does anybody know if I can use one of these?

macuser1997 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 08:21 PM   #5
ryans79
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Thanks, i have never sat on a Mac in my life and know nothing about it at all, but from your response and a little googling, i see "leopard" is version 10.5, right? Please feel free to correct me because i'm totally new to this.

Also what does "PPC Macs" mean?

Thanks!
ryans79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 08:42 PM   #6
dukebound85
macrumors P6
 
dukebound85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 5045 feet above sea level
leopard is 10.5 correct

ppc is the chips that were in macs before they went intel, ie g3, g4, g5 are ppc chips. intel are the core duos and stuff
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 08:43 PM   #7
Jeremy1026
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans79 View Post
Thanks, i have never sat on a Mac in my life and know nothing about it at all, but from your response and a little googling, i see "leopard" is version 10.5, right? Please feel free to correct me because i'm totally new to this.

Also what does "PPC Macs" mean?

Thanks!
Leopard is in fact OS X Version 10.5. PPC Mac is a Mac with a Power PC Processor instead of an Intel Processor
__________________
1026 Development
Jeremy1026 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 08:48 PM   #8
ryans79
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Thanks for clearing that up guys, will get back to searching for an Intel powered Mac with Leopard.

Just curious but what would it cost 2nd hand where you guys live?
(I'm in Sweden btw)

Thanks!
R
ryans79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 09:54 PM   #9
Jeremy1026
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans79 View Post
Thanks for clearing that up guys, will get back to searching for an Intel powered Mac with Leopard.

Just curious but what would it cost 2nd hand where you guys live?
(I'm in Sweden btw)

Thanks!
R
A used Intel-Based Mac Mini is about $350(USD) on ebay right now.
__________________
1026 Development
Jeremy1026 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:41 AM   #10
BlackWolf
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026 View Post
A used Intel-Based Mac Mini is about $350(USD) on ebay right now.
even if you don't buy it from ebay, mac minis are pretty cheap. you should definetly look out for one of those, it's by far the cheapest way to get into the apple world!
BlackWolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:26 AM   #11
ryans79
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Thanks Jeremy1026, I take it you are in the US?

@BlackWolf: Yep, after a lot of looking around and reading looks like my best option is the mini esp since i can use my own mouse (very important, i dont think i'll ever be able to get used to the mac mouse with no right click - been reading up on Apple 's intro for people coming into the Mac platform and i feel a bit more relaxed now, and even they recommend buying a "normal" mouse if I want right click action) and other hardware.

They are still pretty darn expensive in Europe thanks to our crazy taxes and +25% of VAT (VAT = value added tax = just another way of screwing you over) so i guess i've gotta wait till a friend is visiting the States or something.

If you guys have any good links please share, maybe one of the dealers will post to Europe...

Thanks again,
Ryan
ryans79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:44 AM   #12
BlackWolf
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans79 View Post
Thanks Jeremy1026, I take it you are in the US?

@BlackWolf: Yep, after a lot of looking around and reading looks like my best option is the mini esp since i can use my own mouse (very important, i dont think i'll ever be able to get used to the mac mouse with no right click - been reading up on Apple 's intro for people coming into the Mac platform and i feel a bit more relaxed now, and even they recommend buying a "normal" mouse if I want right click action) and other hardware.

They are still pretty darn expensive in Europe thanks to our crazy taxes and +25% of VAT (VAT = value added tax = just another way of screwing you over) so i guess i've gotta wait till a friend is visiting the States or something.

If you guys have any good links please share, maybe one of the dealers will post to Europe...

Thanks again,
Ryan
yeah, it's a lot cheaper in the US. btw, if you buy a mighty mouse for your mac mini you have right-click as well, but I wouldn't recommend it, I personally never like the mighty mouse.
BlackWolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:53 AM   #13
ryans79
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
yeah, it's a lot cheaper in the US. btw, if you buy a mighty mouse for your mac mini you have right-click as well, but I wouldn't recommend it, I personally never like the mighty mouse.
$70 for a mouse that regularly has scrolling problems (from the reviews)... damn, when apple screws you... they REALLY screw you!

I think i saw a product on ebay that allows you to use a "normal" cheapo mouse with some kind of adapter... i'll follow along that route if i get a mini..

Thats one of the reasons i never went Apple before, everything is so closed and tightly integrated that you have to do things the apple way..or the highway... ironically, thats why i have to get an apple now, no choice if i want to program for the iphone.
ryans79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:16 AM   #14
Jeremy1026
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans79 View Post
$70 for a mouse that regularly has scrolling problems (from the reviews)... damn, when apple screws you... they REALLY screw you!

I think i saw a product on ebay that allows you to use a "normal" cheapo mouse with some kind of adapter... i'll follow along that route if i get a mini..

Thats one of the reasons i never went Apple before, everything is so closed and tightly integrated that you have to do things the apple way..or the highway... ironically, thats why i have to get an apple now, no choice if i want to program for the iphone.
Or you can plug in any USB mouse and have right click.
__________________
1026 Development
Jeremy1026 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:22 AM   #15
ryans79
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026 View Post
Or you can plug in any USB mouse and have right click.
Yep
ryans79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:25 AM   #16
iSaga
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Send a message via AIM to iSaga
Here is a used intel based Mac Mini in ebay Sweden store, might want to watch it.

http://www.tradera.com/Mac-Mini-Inte...ktion_89541187
iSaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:37 AM   #17
ryans79
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Thanks! Will keep an eye on that.

If you guys dont mind, can you have a look at my other thread as well?
ryans79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:12 PM   #18
BlackWolf
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans79 View Post
$70 for a mouse that regularly has scrolling problems (from the reviews)... damn, when apple screws you... they REALLY screw you!

I think i saw a product on ebay that allows you to use a "normal" cheapo mouse with some kind of adapter... i'll follow along that route if i get a mini..

Thats one of the reasons i never went Apple before, everything is so closed and tightly integrated that you have to do things the apple way..or the highway... ironically, thats why i have to get an apple now, no choice if i want to program for the iphone.
tell me about it ... mini display port my ass.
BlackWolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Iphone Recycling Program airmax32 iPhone 8 Sep 25, 2013 04:50 AM
iPhone Trade in Program (vague answers) USMCGRUNT iPhone 1 Sep 13, 2013 10:48 AM
Best way to program server connection into iPhone app? dancks iPhone/iPad Programming 11 Apr 26, 2013 07:30 PM
Ipad / Iphone program sync on same computer?! swedenick iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Jul 9, 2012 08:24 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC